Pond shading

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
We live in South Carolina,, and its easily hits 95 F on most days ( about 9 months of the year), and as it stands my 300 gallon pond ( which will be increasing to 1000 when its gets closer to the end of the year),, is in direct sunlight for most of the day,,, just curious if its better to only shade half of the pond ?, I have no problems with algae growth or anything, and also have lily pads in the pond with the fish.
My concern is that during the course of the day the water would get quite warm and i assume this isn't too good for the fish.
( I have my pump going into a bio filter then back into the pond via waterfall)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Shade sails. They are fairly cheap and they look good. I put mine up with closet poles from homedepot. I paid 12 for the poles, 8' x 2" and drove them 1.5 down into the ground at angles to pull the sail. I paid 14 each for my sails at at a local thrift store

Attachments

• IMG_20160704_105505050.jpg
    IMG_20160704_105505050.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 208
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Shade sails. They are fairly cheap and they look good. I put mine up with closet poles from homedepot. I paid 12 for the poles, 8' x 2" and drove them 1.5 down into the ground at angles to pull the sail. I paid 14 each for my sails at at a local thrift store

Yup that is exactly what we did ,,,, now the pond get direct sun the first hour or so during the morning and is shaded nearly the rest of the day. I must agree the sails do look good.
And as the misses said the sails look so much better than just a tarp lol.

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I made a little canopy/frame out of bamboo poles I had hanging around and made a cover from shade cloth fabric I bought at Lowes. It was like $25 for a 6 x 15 ft roll. It fits my trough pond perfectly and lets morning sun hit it, but good shade later in the day.

Ask a Question