Pond starting to smell funky...

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Helloooo!!!

So we've had a spell of high 90 degree days recently and now my pond is starting to smell a wee funky. I've also noticed that some of my lillies are dying as well, but I am also getting new growth and blossoms. The string algae was getting out of control, so I have been treating the water with Pond Care Algaefix for the last two weeks. The water is also very clear.

Any idea what the funk is coming from? No fish, just lillies. I haven't done a water exchange all summer, so I'm thinking that's what needs to be done.

Thanks,

Lew

OH..Here is a late Spring pic of the pond:

IMG_1747.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
decaying vegetation maybe... pull out any plant matter out of pond and upper pool. excessive dead alge is plant matter and will carry an odor.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm with DrCase, especially if you don't have fish. Do a water change!!!

Chemicals? We don't need no stinking chemicals!

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
I know...Water change...That's what the Pond Care help line said too...Will give it a try this weekend..

Thanks!

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
So on Saturday, in the 95 degree Chicago heat, I did a water change and clipped and removed all the deal lilly pads. However, the level of my pond got pretty low. I was able to remove 20 gallons before the pump started to make funny noises (I probably should of turned it off). So I just put the hose in the skimmer and continued to fill my bucket. I then added more bacteria and skimmed out as much algae as possible. I stirred up quite a bit of crud, so I let it settle for 24 hours. The next day the pond was much clearer and noticed a lot of dead plant matter by the planter baskets, along with a lot of algae. I think I need to get a pond vac or a shop vac to get all that crud out.

I'm also thinking of the planter basket full of pillow stuffing and hang it over the waterfall too.

How soon should I see result of algae dying off? It seems that most of the pond floor is covered with it. :0000000057:

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
DrDave said:
A good Doc or Skippy filter will take care of that pea soup in 2 days.

Thanks Doc. Do I really need a Skippy for a 420 gal pond?? Also, just to clarify, the pond water is super clear. I can see to the bottom. There is still a lot dead plant matter and "puffy" algae on the bottm. I just ordered a Python Ulti-vac so I can get the crud off the floor. That, I'm guessing, should help with the algae.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sweet Lew said:
Thanks Doc. Do I really need a Skippy for a 420 gal pond?? Also, just to clarify, the pond water is super clear. I can see to the bottom. There is still a lot dead plant matter and "puffy" algae on the bottm. I just ordered a Python Ulti-vac so I can get the crud off the floor. That, I'm guessing, should help with the algae.

Yes, a smaller version, like a 30 gallon, would work fine with your 450 gallon pond.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Yes, a smaller version, like a 30 gallon, would work fine with your 450 gallon pond.

Gonna have to figure out where to put it...

Also, KoiGuy, Gonna pass on fish right now. Already have something patroling the pond during the night.

Ask a Question