New to this Pond Thing in Hixson TN

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi all! My name is Charlie. I live in Hixson TN, and this will be my first spring with my 1400 gallon pond. I have no clue where to start. My water is really nice and clear, there are 3 very happy goldfish living in the pond at this time. I plan to add some plants , more fish and some snails to help with the algae. The 3 fish have done very well through our winter, with a lowest temp of about 18 degrees. I have a net over the pond to keep leaves out, but this will be removed very soon. I am worried about raccoons though and them enjoying my free sushi bar.

Any ideas and suggestions for a successful pond are appreciated.

Thanks for having this site available for us newbies!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Cshannon3

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @Cshannon3 !

Raccoons are probably not the only predator you have in Huston TX, so I would definitely keep a net over the pond at all time.
Good luck with your pond, I hope it brings you joy! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Funny you should mention that! I recently took the net off my pond (after all the leaf clean up) and I have a few missing fish. I strongly suspect a raccoon with a taste for sushi!!!!!
Welcome to the forum!
You will learn so much on here! The biggest thing I've learned: do not overstock your pond with fish and do not overfeed those fish! This is one of the single most important concepts and can save so much work and grief! Be sure to post pictures of your pond when you get a chance!!!!!!
:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Cshannon3 ! We'd love to see some pictures of your pond!

Predators can be a problem, but if you give your fish some hiding places in your pond, they can be pretty crafty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Howdy Chattanooga area neighbor, and welcome to the forum. Congrats on a good first Spring season.

Unless you have real shallow pond edges, raccoons shouldn't be too much of an issue. Good luck with your pond, and hope you will share pictures with us.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Post a picture when you can. We love seeing others ponds.

Ask a Question