Pond testing

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm planning on testing the water again this morning (once I get my caffeine level up- yes we humans also need to have proper "levels" as well). I'll post another reading.

Last night I did a quick 5-1 test strip reading and my PH was at 8 and the hardness was "Hard". Alkalinity was also up there (can't remember the exact reading). I assumed this was due to the baking soda from the other day.

If I remember correctly and/or understood previous replies, PH and Alkalinity can work in tandem. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
T

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't test much any more just decided after all the heavy rains we have been getting for over a week to test it ,It has rained all night steady and still raining now .We got heavy down pours yesterday and the night before .Pond is full but the plants are growing great .

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Did a reading this morning:
PH 9 (Blue)
AMMONIA: .5
NITRITE: 0
PHOSPHATE: .5
HARDNESS 396ppm (22 drops!)
No food given

There is a presence of brownish matter on the rocks around the pond and on the waterfall. My bio filter is starting to show some coloration (yeah bacteria). I'm willing myself not to clean the brown stuff off the rocks. Bottom of the pond is clean except for a few pebbles. No dead floating matter. Fish seem to be doing just fine.

Oh and my water lily BLOOMED! I have 3 more flower buds making their way to the surface!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you are absolutely positive on the accuracy of your pH test being at 9.0, then I would dose the water with some calcium chloride, from local hardware store. Be sure it has no additives, just 100% calcium chloride. At the rate of, 1 pound per 1,000 gallons. Dissolve it in a bucket first since the initial chemical reaction of the crystals with water can cause quite a bit of energy. Then, pour it around the pond's parameter or at the waterfall or stream area. Wait 12~24 hours after a baking soda dosage; do not add this calcium chloride right after baking soda since these two products will neutralize each other by creating a pure percipitate calcium carbonate product, which is becomes significantly insoluble at pHs above 8.5.

Reaction score
I hate to say this but my "do nothing" approach has been working great for the last year or so. It seems like there is way too much going on in this pond. I test for ammonia from time to time and it's always been 0. Everything is thriving. Fish, frogs, plants.... Maybe just relax for a bit and see what happens?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, there might just be enough calcium present in the source water. So, small water changes or top-offs due to evaporation might be all there is needed to replenish calcium levels.

As nature's presence increases, calcium concentrations will drop and a higher concentration will be required, which could lead to plants showing signs of calcium deficiencies and pH swinging significantly higher through the day.

However, will not know this until it happens, unless ya have the appropriate test kits, which are quite expensive.

In this case, the "wait and see" what happens would be applicable for me as well.

Ask a Question