sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one of those and still use it priscilla .A lot of people use it on swimming pools .I only use the end of it and a hose goes in a basket of quilt batting in my water fall .This way what it pulls out in water gets cleaned by the quilt batting and then water runs right back into your pond .it is a lot of work though for little satisfaction .I use parts of it on my wet dry shop vac .This way the water goes in the vac and goes back out the other end when it gets full .The foam filter inside the vac that you have to put in picks up some of the particles and the rest goes out the outlet hose into the pond .That one you posted puts water into your pond and it says it is supposed to push the gunk into a mesh bag you attach to it ,but the bag will not pick up the finer stuff only heavier stuff .I got mine from my sister when she took down her swimming pool .I took parts I figured I may be able to use on my pond .I use the mesh bag on the end of the shop vac to pick up heavier stuff before it goes into the quilt batting .But really it is useless to clean a pond for the money they charge for it .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had one of those and still use it priscilla .A lot of people use it on swimming pools .I only use the end of it and a hose goes in a basket of quilt batting in my water fall .This way what it pulls out in water gets cleaned by the quilt batting and then water runs right back into your pond .it is a lot of work though for little satisfaction .I use parts of it on my wet dry shop vac .This way the water goes in the vac and goes back out the other end when it gets full .The foam filter inside the vac that you have to put in picks up some of the particles and the rest goes out the outlet hose into the pond .That one you posted puts water into your pond and it says it is supposed to push the gunk into a mesh bag you attach to it ,but the bag will not pick up the finer stuff only heavier stuff .I got mine from my sister when she took down her swimming pool .I took parts I figured I may be able to use on my pond .I use the mesh bag on the end of the shop vac to pick up heavier stuff before it goes into the quilt batting .But really it is useless to clean a pond for the money they charge for it .

Sissy, what brand of wet/dry vac do you have? I have always used Shop Vac, but they have a motor cut-off for when the tank gets full of water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you turn the outlet flange on the inside of mine and connect a hose to the outlet and you need to replace the paper filter with a foam filter .I have to go look geeze talk about forgetful

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it says shop vac i bought it in Nj probably 15 years ago .Some like the big one I have does not say wet dry on it

Attachments

• shop vac 004.JPG
    shop vac 004.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 170
  • shop vac 003.JPG
    shop vac 003.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 169
Reaction score
Update: I'd say the pond is about 70% better than it was. Fingers crossed it stays this way. I think the overnight at 1/2 full did the trick, I was able to filter out a lot that night. I also took my aerator out, that MIGHT have been kicking up some of the fine stuff. I'm still cleaning the filters daily until I leave. I will put the aerator back in before I leave on vacation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ouch , the only other thing I can suggest is buy a cheaper pond Vac then maybe to look into upgrading your filtration as well as looking into why this is occuring Priscilla

Dave
I would like a clean pond, but have heard that koi eggs hatch in the "muck" of the pond. Therefore, is it best to simply stir up the water and let the mechanical and biological filtering systems keep the water clean? Should I still net up the stuff on the bottom and hope that the koi eggs slip through and re-settle? I would love to use a vacuum system but am afraid of disturbing the natural balance that is already there. What do you think?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would like a clean pond, but have heard that koi eggs hatch in the "muck" of the pond. Therefore, is it best to simply stir up the water and let the mechanical and biological filtering systems keep the water clean? Should I still net up the stuff on the bottom and hope that the koi eggs slip through and re-settle? I would love to use a vacuum system but am afraid of disturbing the natural balance that is already there. What do you think?
You may 'hear' all sorts of things. The truth is Koi eggs are Sticky. In nature these are laid in the shallows of a body of water usually around plants. The eggs adhere to the underwater portions of the plants and also any stone or rock that may be present. They will not adhere to 'muck'.

Ask a Question