Pond Videos

Reaction score
We are planning a bio pond. Your drawing is very helpful, but I have a question please. Do you use a pump in the bio pond [the circle drawn in the bottom left of the diagram of the bio pond} that pumps the water back into the main pond or is there only one pump for the entire system? External pump & size?
I love your pond! The interest & love you have for this oacis is very obvious.
Thanks

Reaction score
Thank you Dr Dave, Soppy and CJ.

CJ, I'll go into detail about the bio pond later, the head groundskeeper is
outside tending to the garden and then we're on the way to our kids
for a BBQ...I get back to the bio pond in detail later.

I took this video this morning @ 10 AM...it's actually three videos that
I joined together with my flip share program.

Re: the landscaping...Firstly we planted many different perrenial ground coverings,
and low growing perrenials.
We are not master gardners, thus we don't know the names of all the different
ground coverings we have.

Some that we do know are vinca vine, purple palace,
english ivy, forget-me-nots etc...we look for different textures and shades of green.
The beds all around the ponds fill begin to fill in -- in March, and by April, the garden looks good already.
Then we continually have other perrenials pop up such as bearded iris,
regular iris, Japanese iris and lily's. The iris we keep standing by using thin bamboo
sticks and string...it disappears in the garden, while keeping the plants standing tall.

I love the vinca vine that cascades over the rocks, and also the english ivy.
(notice the english ivy surrounding the sun dial) It is envasive, doesn't share space well,
thus it needs to be kept under control.

We have Cattails (planted in a pot buried in the ground outside the pond) it is going
to have 4 cats this summer :lol: We also have lotus, which gets huge planted in a pot
next to the little dock, again in a pot buried in the ground outside the pond.
Everything is surrounded by ground covers and rocks so that it looks like part of the pond.
The beauty of this is you can have the big things like lotus and cattails withount taking up precious
pond space...especially if you have a small pond. We also have a lotus pot by the bio pond.

In back of the cattail is clamatis crawling up the bird house
pole...we purchased many years ago grapevine roping from the craft store...it is about 15 to 20 foot long.
we ran it up and down the pole creating a nice wide space for the clamatis to grow.
The clamatis clings to it nicely, and it's a nice bonus in the winter,
it looks good and the birds have a place to land in the winter to look around before going to the feeders.

The big waterfall...we have 4 waterfalls in the pond...we use 500 to 700 gph pumps
on the small waterfalls, the big waterfall is about 950 gph's however, we only run it
for tourists :) and on occassion for ourselves...in the video the main waterfall is off.

If you look at the main waterfall -- there is a light green and white shrub on the left
called acuba...this is the only thing )besides the evergreen growing in back of the waterfall)
that is planted in the ground...
the rest of the plants are perrenials, hostice, live forever,
and purple palace are planted in pots buried in the waterfall in back of
the rocks...these plants come back every year.
The rest of the flowers you see in the waterfall
and in the gardens surrounding the pond are planted in pots, buried in the ground covers...

We move them around, all the time...you will notice he swapped out the large geranimum
on top of the pond and put the geranimum by the edge of the dog leg...
I know there is more I can tell you, but right now I hope this is helpfull for those
of you, like us want instant gratification, and a full and lush garden from early spring until
the late fall.... :)

here it is on utube (how did this happen?)

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]B0_Lc7D_D6U[/MEDIA]"]

Reaction score
AS you can see from the video. the lotus is only about 2 foot high,
it grows to about 6 feet high...that's why we plant it outside the pond...

P1010273lotus_rev_7-31-06.JPG

CJ. I"ll post later about the bio pond.

Reaction score
Thanks Koikeeper :regular_waving_emot

CJ, RE: the bio pond.

Look at this diagram of the pond again...It's a Bottom drain, gravity fed system.

The three filter tubs are daisy chained together. The tubs are buried in the ground
and the water in the tubs are level with the pond water. The water travels from the BD
to the filter tubs...the first and second tubs are filled with various filter materials to filter the
water and catch all the solids. The last tub has all the pumps in it. We have 5
pumps in the last tub (the pumps range from 500 to 700 gph, except for the 950
gph that we use for the large waterfall -- and we only use that on occasion)

After the water leaves the last tub (the one with the pumps in it) it travels under ground
via 3/4" or 1" tubing, (It matches the output on the pump) and enters the bio pond
over a small waterfall, the water then travels through the bio pond getting scrubbed
by all the vegetation in it's path (hyacinth is the best vegetation) and some plastic
mesh (in a laundry bag ) to help hold the bacteria this bio pond. The water then leaves the bio pond at the end -- through a drain
that is on the top of the water level of the pond...Note: the drain is at the top of the water level.

The water leaves the pond at the end of the bio pond -- it has to be at a grade so that it travels back towards the main pond.
Then the water spills back into the pond from under the small wooden dock at the back
of the pond. (follow the arrows in the diagram) This process runs 24/7...the head guy
estimates that the pond water turns over about 12 to 15 times a day, depending on how many of the 5 pumps we have running.

We have no pumps in our pond -- they are all in the last filter box outside the pond
back down to the main pond..

Hope this is clear...

pond_mech_4x6_06.jpg

This is the bio pond from June 4th 2003 ... it has the yellow flag iris in this pond and the waterfall
for the bio pond is to the left of the yellow flag iris. It is located 18 feet away fro the main pond,
note the edge of the dock and the garden angel next to the dock in the main pond.

p6040444little_pond_6-4-03.jpg

Reaction score
Zharris, in the beds we also have a lot of low growing evergreen type plants.
As I said, we are not master gardners, so we went to the nurseries and picked
out low growing evergreens. The perrenials we picked out low growing as well,
for the edges. The taller stuff we planted in the back edges of the pond.

We have vinca vine, english ivy, several varities of hostas, live forever
forget me nots, purple palace, thyme, dusty miller,chives, and lots of other creeping
perrenials that I don't know the names of.

If you look in the cement bird bath, we have a low growing (light green) perrenial
that comes back each year. We also have it throughout the beds.
If anyone knows the name of it please advise.

In order to plant a bird bath you have to drill holes in the cement for the water to escape.
When I first id the bird bath several years ago, I loved it, had some flowers in it
and some hens and chicks...it was adorable, however this invasive light green
plant took over, not that I mind, cause I love invasive plants.

Also, if you notice at the edge of the beds around the ponds we placed large rocks
and then small stones for a path. It keeps the weeds down, and there is not need for edging.
When it gets real hot in the summer that is a plus. Everyone is enthused
in the Spring and full of beans working outside, but when it gets real hot, weeding
and edging is a chore.
Our object was to make it lush and beautiful and while it is always a work in progress,
it should always be enjoyable and not a chore.
There is also a lot of nice big rocks and bolders throughout the beds, as well as driftwood.
We also have favorite rocks that we move around like furniture...:lol:
Hope I am giving you guys some good ideas.

The head groundskeeper also loves impatience for edging the beds.
This year I talked him into putting in less impatience.

P7200014_ws_rev_5-05_7-20-03.JPG

Reaction score
Thanks Koikeeper, My head groundskeeper's plan is always more flowers,
and then even more flowers. If I posted a pic of his rose garden you would laugh...they say roses
don't like company...:lol: They have no choice in his garden.
I found a close up of the bird bath from 2007...this is the creeper
someone from a pond forum sent me several years ago...
it spreads like a weed, but we love it.
Does anyone know the name of it?

P1011897termrev7-24-07.jpg

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
ive just got to ask ..how often do you have to clean your filters ? and do you have to ever empty your bog pond to clean it ?...nice to see you have a lot of plants that we have here :0)..but ive no idea what your green plant is

Reaction score
Stroppy, The head guy cleans the tubs as needed, usually once a week he cleans
the first tub which collects most of the solids. All three tubs get cleaned usually
every two or three weeks...It lets the sharpness of the water determine the frequency
of the cleaning...

The biological pond gets cleaned only once in early spring. Some years he empties it to clean it, and some years he doesn't.

I also want to mention when he cleans the pads in the filters, he uses pond water that he scoops out from the pond,
(swishing the pads and batting up and down in 5 gallon buckets of pond water) He never cleans the filter pads with hose water,
thus maintaining the good bacteria
in the pads and cotton batting .
He also walks around with the 5 gallon buckets
watering all the plants and flowers with the rich, dirty, pond water from the filters....

Reaction score
Wow,...absolutly beautiful. I plan to start digging next week,...you have given me much food for thought. What a peaceful space you have.

Ask a Question