pond visit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just lately I have had a Heron circling around and has been on my garden fence I have two ponds but my garden is not large I thought that needed a large area to get back into flight both ponds now have a wire net over them which I have to remove to get to my pump.i hope come summer time I can remove the netting.;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope I would not remove the net ever! If you don't like the way it looks there are other ways to make it look better. Raise it up on poles or pergola etc. Once the heron has seen you have the fish he will come back and wipe everyone of them out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nope I would not remove the net ever! If you don't like the way it looks there are other ways to make it look better. Raise it up on poles or pergola etc. Once the heron has seen you have the fish he will come back and wipe everyone of them out!
Thanks yes I think I will do something like you said in the summer when I can work around the pond easier. At least it now has a wire net over both pond's

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are a lot of myths about the Heron, but the truth is that it is a smart and stubborn predator, and unless we cover out ponds, it will eventually figure a way to get our fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know people say once they find you, they will keep coming back until they wipe out your fish population. I've told people the same thing myself. However, we've actually had two heron visits that were just that - just stopped by, checked things out and never returned. One was actually standing in the shallow part of the pond. I have no idea why they moved on without sampling the fares but I'm glad they both did. Both times I was like "uh oh... here we go." And then - nothing. I told my fish "you guys must not look very tasty! Keep it up!"

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
However, we've actually had two heron visits that were just that - just stopped by, checked things out and never returned.
I wish, the heron's came by our house and never left. Daily or almost daily visits for around 2 years until I put a net over the pond. Watched them catch fish on our cams.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know! I don't know what the secret sauce is here honestly. We do have lots of natural ponds that are full of fish. They fish in those constantly. Maybe they were like "eh. Wild caught is better!" haha!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd like to be able to not have a net but no can do. Heron not picky at all he, they will eat them all!
Something like this would be nice but it would cost a bunch. Would still have to have a net over it all tho.

Ask a Question