Pond waders?

Reaction score
Whilst in a water centre the other day, I noticed that they sold dedicated pond chest waders. I didn't take a close look at them, and wondered how they differ from standard chest waders used in fishing/angling? I have a couple of sets of standard soled chest waders & have been reluctant to get in the pond to do some tidying up in case I damage the liner with the tread on the soles of the waders. They are not cleated or anything, just a standard plastic/hard rubber/whatever material they make soles out of!

These are pressure washed and dried in the sun after every use outside the garden so extremely low chance of transferring any infection etc from the rivers or lakes I have been in with them.

Safe to walk in the pond with them on with the standard pond underlay or should I look for a felt sole chest wader instead (designed to be used with separate wading boots over the top of them).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use plain old waders when going into the pond if it is cold water, not special pond waders.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use the type that have shoes that go over the wader, I use them for photography sometimes and I can walk a lot farther. Just a rubber sole. I know in some areas they do not allow the felt bottoms due to transferring the bad things

Reaction score
hmmm, good to know that the felt bottom soles might transfer things...
was looking at getting a pair of waders - don't have anything yet.
but if I am not going to go anywhere but my pond - does it matter if I get the felt type?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Swimming togs only Van "are yea a wimp man waders indeed", come on dont let the side down old son were are of course British after all ;)

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I usually just go into the pond in shorts and a tshirt, just use waders when that water is just too darn cold for this warm water loving body. Mine have the hard sole and way too big for me, my neighbor gave them to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
lol I usually just go into the pond in shorts and a tshirt, just use waders when that water is just too darn cold for this warm water loving body. Mine have the hard sole and way too big for me, my neighbor gave them to me.
addy when you've served up in the Arcic then you'll know its darn cold anything else is just warmer swimming trunks or Bermuda shorts and in I go :LOL:

Dave ;)

Reaction score
addy when you've served up in the Arcic then you'll know its darn cold anything else is just warmer swimming trunks or Bermuda shorts and in I go :LOL:

Dave ;)

Must admit I have been for a dip in the frozen ocean when I was in Lapland in 2003 after the ice breaker had broken the hole on its course, but that was with a thermal floatation suit, and was still cold!!!!!!! LOL Bad enough that unless a bath is red hot, it is cold!!!! LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Must admit I have been for a dip in the frozen ocean when I was in Lapland in 2003 after the ice breaker had broken the hole on its course, but that was with a thermal floatation suit, and was still cold!!!!!!! LOL Bad enough that unless a bath is red hot, it is cold!!!! LOL
Think of those poor Royal Marines who have to do it as part of their training mate BBRRRRR..... lol by the way didnt know you were a seafarer ?

Dave

Reaction score
Think of those poor Royal Marines who have to do it as part of their training mate BBRRRRR..... lol by the way didnt know you were a seafarer ?

Dave

I am not a seafarer!!!! It was a day excursion from when I worked for O2. 16 of us got an all-expenses paid 5 day trip to Lapland in 2003, and one of the days was skidoo'ing across the frozen ocean & a trip on an icebreaker. Would go back there tomorrow if I had the chance to as it is a wonderful country.

Ask a Question