Pond Water Foaming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
There is always a bit of foam on the surface of my goldfish pond. I vacuum the bottom regularly. I promptly remove what little leaves and dead vegetation that get in it. Phosphate tests regularly show 0.0 to 0.25 ppm. All the other water chemistry is consistently stable within acceptable limits. The foam doesn't seem to do any harm. The 15 - 20 goldfish appear quite healthy.

Any ideas what is causing the foam?

Attachments

• pond foam.jpg
    pond foam.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd guess DOCs - even when you THINK you're removing it all, the fish are still adding to the mix with their own organic compounds, if ya know what I mean. It should clear up when your plants get going.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If a small pond a proteins skimmer can help. that's what DOC'S are it dead and dying protein's or a water change

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If a small pond a proteins skimmer can help. that's what DOC'S are it dead and dying protein's or a water change
Wait what? Freshwater protein skimmer?? If that exists I need one right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
protien skimmers are both fresh and salt but they also strip the water of some nutrients and minerals , but if your foam is that bad a water change is probably first on the list.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
protien skimmers are both fresh and salt but they also strip the water of some nutrients and minerals , but if your foam is that bad a water change is probably first on the list.
I never knew that you could use them for freshwater, might be something to try out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they only remove the after effects , it's kinda like algicides .you should try to figure out why it formed in the first place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm not looking to do anything drastic or rock the boat, so to speak. The fish are fine. The water chemistry is fine... hasn't changed significantly in the two years I've been taking care of this pond. Like thefishguy said, the foam is not that bad. I was just curious as to why it is there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not looking to do anything drastic or rock the boat, so to speak. The fish are fine. The water chemistry is fine... hasn't changed significantly in the two years I've been taking care of this pond. Like thefishguy said, the foam is not that bad. I was just curious as to why it is there.
I get some low level foaming (much like what your pictures show) this time of year when the toads & frogs have started spawning (ie - putting their proteins into the water) but the plants haven't fully taken off yet. As long as everything else is looking good, I don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When the pumps are first turned back on after the winters sleep the water is moving again after being so still. the leaves the fish waste the dust is all being churned up and aerated for the first time in months for most. Unless your pond looks like the foam you see at the beach, if you have adequate filtration it will take care of itself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I find koi clay works the best . It adds minerals for the fish and clarifies the water naturally . I buy it on ebay most times and use the human consumption form . 5 lbs usually costs less than 25 dollars but used to cost me less than 15 dollars before shortages

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is always a bit of foam on the surface of my goldfish pond. I vacuum the bottom regularly. I promptly remove what little leaves and dead vegetation that get in it. Phosphate tests regularly show 0.0 to 0.25 ppm. All the other water chemistry is consistently stable within acceptable limits. The foam doesn't seem to do any harm. The 15 - 20 goldfish appear quite healthy.

Any ideas what is causing the foam?

Our pond is about 10,000 gallons. Lots of large Koi and only 2 goldfish. When it's spawning time, the entire surface of the pond is covered in foam, which is essentially sperm from the male fish. If you didn't know better, you'd think someone put in Mr. Bubble suds. The male koi will literally shove the female against the sides of the pond to expel her eggs. The eggs will float around in the sperm, and that's how they get fertilized. Most likely it's the same for goldfish.
Soon afterwards we will notice baby koi's. Last year we had more than a dozen babies. So the foam, at least in our pond, is a good thing. More babies coming. Happy spring. Good luck.

Ask a Question