Anyone ever get sick from dealing with their dirty pond water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My filterless pond(with falls) is so dirty with all sorts of muck like geese poop, never ending algae which idk why it keeps multiplying when I have plenty of plants in it, garden dirt.. and I was inside there with my waders on cleaning up the muck and cutting back my plants yesterday for a good amount of time and although I’m not sure if that was the cause, today I got stomach issues. I didn’t feel any water go in my mouth but maybe a small droplet went in without me noticing? Anyone else ever had this unpleasant experience after going in/maintaining your ponds?

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My filterless pond(with falls) is so dirty with all sorts of muck like geese poop, never ending algae which idk why it keeps multiplying when I have plenty of plants in it, garden dirt.. and I was inside there with my waders on cleaning up the muck and cutting back my plants yesterday for a good amount of time and although I’m not sure if that was the cause, today I got stomach issues. I didn’t feel any water go in my mouth but maybe a small droplet went in without me noticing? Anyone else ever had this unpleasant experience after going in/maintaining your ponds?
I have heard you can get sick from cleaning tanks so I don't see the difference and there is no filter so that is more chance for the funk but I know nothing just assuming yes you could have got it from your pond

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think you would have to swallow water or not clean your hands well after. Also, if you have any open cuts, keep pond water out of them. I've fallen in my ponds more times than I can count, never gotten sick. Did get bit by a spider while leaning over edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Uh oh… I got a fresh deep wound right when I was working in my pond when I was putting my lotus pot back in the water and I just let it go halfway and the rim on the pot slid through my middle finger and I got a deep wound enough for it to bleed a lot. I still kept picking up algae and muck with my bare hands for the next 45 min. So you think some sort of parasite like worms entered through my wound and invading my body by now?? I also do have a weird headache today, not sure if something entered my bloodstream to my brain that could be fatal. This is getting concerning

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Uh oh… I got a fresh deep wound right when I was working in my pond when I was putting my lotus pot back in the water and I just let it go halfway and the rim on the pot slid through my middle finger and I got a deep wound enough for it to bleed a lot. I still kept picking up algae and muck with my bare hands for the next 45 min. So you think some sort of parasite like worms entered through my wound and invading my body by now?? I also do have a weird headache today, not sure if something entered my bloodstream to my brain that could be fatal. This is getting concerning
You should have wore your mask it stops everything didn't you kno but I pray you don't have worms that would be kinda gross but on a serious note hope you get to feeling better

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So you think some sort of parasite like worms entered through my wound and invading my body by now?? I also do have a weird headache today, not sure if something entered my bloodstream to my brain that could be fatal. This is getting concerning

Well, I would highly doubt it. I'd be more concerned about the cut getting infected quite honestly.

Our dogs drink our pond water like it's fine champagne - they actually ask to be let out to go drink from the pond - and it's never bothered them so I really think your water is safe. And I can tell you, working in a school, stomach issues are all the rage right now. The Noro, the Roto - all the viruses are making their rounds. And headaches are often part of the package.

Hope you feel better soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well maybe I should wear a mask from now on. I was also reading through some sites where they mention this flesh eating bacteria that will kill 1/3 people who get it and other different types of bacteria that enter through an open wound that could cause serious harm to you. It’s been over 24 hours and my wound seems to be ok? A little red, can’t tell if that’s an infection or not but my stomach and headache issues are still there. I guess I will find out tomorrow or the coming days whether I will need to go to the er….
Also don’t dogs have better immunity than us? My dog also eats dirt, geese poop all the time without getting sick which makes me think they can get far dirtier than us without getting sick

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No. Not "better". They just use their immune system more than us which makes it stronger. We tend to avoid anything germs when in reality a good dose of dirt now and then is actually helpful. Play in your garden. Dig in the dirt. Swim in your pond. It's all good.

And that flesh eating bacteria you read about? Extremely rare. You're more likely to get struck lightning while working on your pond... two or three times in a row.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I am guilty of working in fish tanks and ponds with cuts on several occasions, not saying it is advisable, but I wouldn’t be concerned. If ponds were so dangerous there is no way they would be around today. If you do want to be safe there are these great things called doctors that could probably take a look.

I can concour with liask1 on the stomach bug thing, it is going around where I live too.

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well maybe I should wear a mask from now on. I was also reading through some sites where they mention this flesh eating bacteria that will kill 1/3 people who get it and other different types of bacteria that enter through an open wound that could cause serious harm to you. It’s been over 24 hours and my wound seems to be ok? A little red, can’t tell if that’s an infection or not but my stomach and headache issues are still there. I guess I will find out tomorrow or the coming days whether I will need to go to the er….
Also don’t dogs have better immunity than us? My dog also eats dirt, geese poop all the time without getting sick which makes me think they can get far dirtier than us without getting sick
I believe dogs can injest way more than us like spoiled meat for example. There has been alot of diff bugs going around lately my other half is currently sick at the moment so could just be common bug pos something you ate or a flesh eating disease just get well best of luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all, I feel better about it now. I guess I do avoid ‘dirtiness’ to the point I don’t know what immunity feels like. Not that I get sick from those kind of stuff often. I feel fine today, no more stomach issues but my wound is still hurting so I might have gotten a slight infection but not too concerned anymore :)

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all, I feel better about it now. I guess I do avoid ‘dirtiness’ to the point I don’t know what immunity feels like. Not that I get sick from those kind of stuff often. I feel fine today, no more stomach issues but my wound is still hurting so I might have gotten a slight infection but not too concerned anymore :)

Cichlidboy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Glad your feeling better and for the cut on hand redness is and tenderness is normal if you think about how much you use your hands and put them into things such as pond water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually, the bacteria for flesh eating disease is fairly common. But infections are rare and serious infections even more rare.

A neighbor got it from falling and just scraping her knee, so the bacteria was in the soil. But that is pretty unusual thing to happen.

As long as you wash and clean the wound and apply some antibiotic salve, and you don't have autoimmune issues, the chances of having a problem are very, very low.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I cleaned my pond after getting a 4 inch burn from my oven on my arm...Since it was not a cut, I didn't think much of it..Just put triple antibiotic ointment on it when I cleaned up after working...Next day I had to go to urgent care with cellulitis and was put on a strong antibiotic...So make sure you look for any signs of infection and if you see that it is getting red around the area go to the doctor!

Ask a Question