water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks better.
If you want some of the dirt out, you could vacuum some of it out. Or filter it out. You could put some quilt batting below the water fall, (the stuff the put into quilts) it will collect a lot of the fine dirt. Put some there and as it gunks up rinse it out.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
but he said i asked for a wild natural pond so the water may not look totally clear which is better for any little critters that want to use it

Turbidity...Yes, but organic based turbidity-phytoplankton and zooplankton. This is not what you have as it is too soon for any reasonable size community pf planktonic organisms to form.
What you have is turbidity from high TSS (Total Suspended Solids). In this instance apparently either suspended clay particles and/or rock dust. This you do not need and is not beneficial to any aqquatic organisms.
Sounds like a 'spin' has been offered to cover apparent negligence on the contractors part.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The thing that would concern me is the areas where runoff is going to drain directly into the pond. From the photos, it looks like you have several areas where water is going to continually run in from the surrounding areas and bring in more dirt. And you still appear to have some exposed liner which would make me a bit loony. Well, in my case loonier, but you get the drift!

Anyway, I don't think that you'll really get that silt to settle. I would do as @addy1 suggested and run it through quilt batting. It appears to be dust from all that gravel, so it may take a while for it all to get rinsed clean.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The thing that would concern me is the areas where runoff is going to drain directly into the pond. From the photos, it looks like you have several areas where water is going to continually run in from the surrounding areas and bring in more dirt. And you still appear to have some exposed liner which would make me a bit loony. Well, in my case loonier, but you get the drift!

Anyway, I don't think that you'll really get that silt to settle. I would do as @addy1 suggested and run it through quilt batting. It appears to be dust from all that gravel, so it may take a while for it all to get rinsed clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... you're not from around here, are you? haha!

It's the white polyfiber fill they use to make quilts. It comes in rolls. You let the water flow through it and it catches all the fine particulant that regular filters will miss.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
719VTMHLOKL._SL1500_.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
DOes it not look good i hope the water will clear more
brother did u read the thread what every one pointed ? i dont see any of those things fixed , im not saying its worst , it will improve by time but its bad for a professional i think they are short rocks still , some should support gravel from falling down and some should go on borders and around waterfall , if u and me made it its good , but if ur spending money u need to get what u pay for and technically correct pond system , did you see youtube for pond building ?

York, Lancaster, Harrisburg PA Backyard Koi Fish Ponds, Waterfalls, and Fountains - YouTube

Ponds Gone Wrong | Backyard Ponds - Episode 2 - (Part 1) - YouTube

Pond Construction - Ponds Gone Wrong - Episode 1 - (Part 1) - YouTube

How to build a Fish Pond - Part 19 | Wiring Pond Lights - YouTube

How to build a Fish Pond - Part 20 | Pond Edging & Landscape Borders - YouTube

How to build a small fish pond - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpPp6LF_sOQ

How To Build a Pond by Aquascape - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSWOh-EkxS0

How To Build a Backyard Pond - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5rpZaPYTUI

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Usman makes so many good points... but honestly, it's your money and your pond. If you think it "looks great" then that's what matters. As for how it functions, well, that's where the rubber hits the road as they say.

Personally I would never be happy with the way that filter was installed or with having visible hoses in the pond and waterfall. Again - if you or I built it, then cool. But for a pro? I would not be happy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to hear the company is not done and will be back!

Just remember a few gold fish will become more. They do enjoy making babies, rapidly.
I don't know your temperatures, you might want to check into the fan tail goldfish, they swim slower, breed less and still look neat in a pond.
I have some in one of my ponds, they handle our freezing icing over and cold water without issues.

Not one of mine picture off the net
FantailGoldfishWFG_Cn0899.jpg
The pond i have is meant for wildlife so wont be entirely clear wikl these fish be okay in this thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
You can get the quilt stuff from places like Dunelm Mill or anywhere that sells upholstery material, an actual quilt would also do of course, an old one would be fine. It's available in different weights..thickness..and could be useful...about £3/ running metre x 1" thick.
Maybe if you sweep the settled dusty stuff around, the quilt/waterfall/filter will catch the bits and get more of the sediment out. Failing that, it's a complete wash out and refill if you need to get rid of it all. I don't think the stuff that's settled out would get pulled through the filter or anything without any water movement as such as there's nothing to stir it up.
How deep is it at it max depth, just curious? The shallower the pond, the faster it will heat up and chill down, so the less stable they are making fish conditions trickier.
The waterfall doesn't seem to do a great deal, they're usually there to give both sound and aeration. The water as it's currently set up just seems to run along the rocks, not giving much of a splashing effect if at all.
It looks a bit better than in the previous pics.....but I can still see some issues, the way the filter is buried so deep, yes, they can go down to the point where the inlets are, but this appears to be buried below the lid line in parts, so it is too deep set, in my eye anyway.
You will have probs in setting plants on the ledges if you chose to do that as the final edge one is so shallow. The idea is to set them in pots on the ledge to make it look natural and disguise the edging for your natural look which I read is what you intended. However, setting pots on your ledge, the actual pots will stand up above the water and be seen from all angles.
The liner is also wrinkly and sticking up above the water level in some areas, these maybe places that it could get damaged.
I also think the run off will be a problem in heavy rain as soil could wash into the water, it doesn't seem to have been addressed.

I'm sorry that our posts seem to be so negative, we're really just trying to help. If as pointed out, you are entirely satisfied with the result you have, then that's good, but as you can see the majority of us here can see you have been short changed so to speak. Greenfingers are as you say a national company that one of my own girls uses. However, I'm not so sure that this team are experienced pond designers and installers, others may well be. It would be interesting and informative if you could get the thoughts of a truly good pond team to take a look at your pond and give you their opinion, either in person or by sending them the photos and just see what they say. Maybe it's worth doing....I certainly would. Please do keep in touch with us, and I/we hope that some of the issues we all seem to be pointing out can get resolved without too many extra £££££'s being spent :)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Addy1 is on to something. A pond vac would do you a lot of good .
If you can suck the fine dirt off the liner your water will clear up

Ask a Question