pond wont clear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You should have many places for the fish to hide.
Otherwise they will remain nervous and stressed.

THanks for all that ive not paid yet and sent a long email about all those problems and see what they say

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Great.
Every pond will eventually turn into a pond that attracts wildlife, but each pond will have limitations based on it's design. Have a look around your area to see which native plants are growing and try to replicate those conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
...and the pond max depth is......?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it has no real bearing on the level of turbidity, but that is awfully shallow for any eco-pond even without fish.

I Thought when i measured it. It wasant deep but because of the murkiness i couldant see the bottom think thats another problem to solve

I Have got in touch with an expert who maintains and sorts ponds hes coming thursday and will show me were he can improve he also said nearly everything you guys said when he saw the images he actually laughed at this company telling me it had to be murky to lure critters into the pond i dont want this company coming back they have been back twice and not solved my issues... not sure how to handle i may let this guy solve those problems and take any costs of there bill what do you think

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
not sure how to handle i may let this guy solve those problems and take any costs of there bill what do you think

I don't know the laws in your country, but here you would run into issues if you let another contractor step in and don't pay the first guy. Do you have a contract with the original company? What does it say about a guarantee or any satisfaction with the end product?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that Meyer, but it was obvious from the pics with the plant standing in it that the water was very shallow. It's going to really heat up even with our UK climate with no natural shade around it or plant cover in it. No one had questioned the depth till now.
Could it even get too warm for our native pond plants to grow properly do you think?
Evaporation cold also be an issue, it's amazing how a few sunny days especially when combined with a breeze, levels of any pond can drop by a couple of inches. Topping up then just adds more nutrients to the water and hey presto....it's pea soup.
The more we look at the pond, sadly, the more problems we can identify.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
it looked deeper then 13 inch may be they have not filled it at its max if they can stretch it to 17 raise its borders for rain , its said wild life is most active and flourishing on the shallow places under 8 inch so i dont disagree with the idea of keeping it shallow usually they are made shallow but freezing cold and evaporation can be issue , i dont think sun is harmful , warmer waters are more fertile for wild life plants and organisms , i have seen few natural ponds which are very shallow .... but wouldn't harm deeper section for different wildlife plants
i think main thing that will attract wildlife insects and starts echo system is vegetation inside pond on its shallow parts also will need to fertilize it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I Thought when i measured it. It wasant deep but because of the murkiness i couldant see the bottom think thats another problem to solve

I Have got in touch with an expert who maintains and sorts ponds hes coming thursday and will show me were he can improve he also said nearly everything you guys said when he saw the images he actually laughed at this company telling me it had to be murky to lure critters into the pond i dont want this company coming back they have been back twice and not solved my issues... not sure how to handle i may let this guy solve those problems and take any costs of there bill what do you think
good to see that u contacted him , lol wow we can all combine our powers to b an expert then
whenever u hire someone , do a small interview and go withhim to see his old clients and projects then if u like it u can go on
ye i feel bad for them too but they did some "mistakes" intentionally or unintentionally whoknows , i dono what will u do , if the new guy will continue with this pond and do some changes then its good to pay them some part too as they did half work at least , wud b unfair to not pay them a penny :( but it depends what was the contract and on u , we hope end result will b good , pretty pond and all are happy , remember wildlife pond dsnt mean it should look wild random , it should look pretty , planted , clear well organized , well planned , artistic too

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know the laws in your country, but here you would run into issues if you let another contractor step in and don't pay the first guy. Do you have a contract with the original company? What does it say about a guarantee or any satisfaction with the end product?

I agree. It is OK to let this new contractor assess the situation and offer suggestions and even a quote, but you need to give the original contractor one more chance to correct these issues. Carefully read your contract, if you signed one.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OK, I am going to look at the bright side. With all the sediment settling on the liner, it has made this look like a earth bottom pond. The shallow shelves where the lining is showing could be a great place for planting some low growing plants bare-root in some gravel. Once more plants are added to around and in the pond, and they get established, I think this will look very natural.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I Didant sign a contract but i will pay but only when everything is sorted they are coming back again to put more gravel over the lining and today the water is settling and quite clear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Make sure the gravel is thoroughly washed as it will only add to the cloudiness in the first place and then later to the sediment that's already there.
I hope you can reach an amicable solution to the email you sent and you end up being pleased with the results. Please keep us updated especially with more pics as they hopefully remedy their mistakes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fingers crossed for a good resolution @pond1 ! There are many elements of your pond that are very pretty - I think you will be very happy if you can get it worked out to your satisfaction!

Ask a Question