Ponding newbie, koi died, need help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for the thought @addy1 ! We have a fish hatchery near us where we got most of our koi in the past. I'm going to contact them and see if they have shubunkins or maybe can get some. I saw some lovely blue ones a few years ago at a pond store that I wish I had gotten - but WE HAD SO MANY KOI!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks! Yea, rough weather around here, indeed. The more I've read posts on this forum, the more I think running 2 aerators + no de-icer/breather were big factors. It was a hard, sad lesson learned for this ponding newbie...

At least I can stop giving my dogs the stinkeye for knocking in those plants! I thought sure that's what killed the fish.
I'm not so sure - aerators do de-ice unless it's VERY cold, an even then, they tend to form a big bubble under the ice. My guess is all those koi really sucked up the O2.

Addy and others are right - comets and shubunkins are much easier to keep healthy and look just as stunning. After A few years, I added ONE koi for variety - he's now the floating pig of the pond.

As for the sludge, well that's a problem with rock bottoms - it's much harder to keep them clean because you can't just run a net and scoop out everything.

PS - never turn off your pump at night. Why would you want to?

Ask a Question