Newbie to ponding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a 270 gallon 8x6 prelined pond, want to know an easy way to make a filter for it and where to place it. Should I place it before the waterfall (I have a small water fall too I'm building) or should it be placed with the pump inside under water in the pond? I dont know how to post a picture yet...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I gotta advise...NO IN POND FILTER!! they just dont perform as well as an external can. there are some great filter buids in the DIY section. just down size your build to a 20 gal range container. the only in pond filter worth anything is a prefilter which traps debris before your pumps impellor purees them or gets clogged up. build your filter as the waterfalls basin... as i and many others do...
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-70-gal-skippy-style-filter-t5089.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well I've made my own bio filter out of a 10 gal rubbermade tub...found out that I need at least twice as much out flow as I do input...as it overflowed big time the first time I plugged the pump back on...live and learn! Hey I'm a gal at least I tried! I'll have to post pics of it when I make it flow out right...tmrw's episode.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! we all learn by our mistakes..............umm trial and error.

Ask a Question