Pondless Waterfall Build Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
You build a pool ab
Nd have the pipe eject from the bottom and point straight up the depth you'll need will depend on your gph
I see Amazon has a $41 spillway from Danner Manufacturing that is rated for up to 2000 gph.

What happens if I wind up going beyond that amount? I was thinking I'll need around 2500 gph for the flow I'm thinking about, which my pump should be able to deliver.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"A pool ab". I can kinda visualize the pointing straight up part, but out of what exactly? Like maybe put a 90 degree elbow on the flex, dig down enough, place it there and pile rocks over the top?
Yeah sorry about that .

You build a small pool have the return come in from the bottom with a bulked fitting . The water pushes straight up and dumps over the spillway.
I don't know what size pump you have. Too many posts to remember who's who . Cliff notes help sorry not big on going back and rereading posts over and over over a few months

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah sorry about that .

You build a small pool have the return come in from the bottom with a bulked fitting . The water pushes straight up and dumps over the spillway.
I don't know what size pump you have. Too many posts to remember who's who . Cliff notes help sorry not big on going back and rereading posts over and over over a few months
I have the OASE 5150 gph pump allocated to the secondary stream. I'm calculating roughly 27 or so feet from the pump to where the spillway (or whatever) will be. With a static head of 9.5'. They'll likely be a few elbows in place, and an inline ball valve.

Worried what can happen if I exceed the 2000 gph rating on in the inexpensive spillway?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the OASE 5150 gph pump allocated to the secondary stream. I'm calculating roughly 27 or so feet from the pump to where the spillway (or whatever) will be. With a static head of 9.5'. They'll likely be a few elbows in place, and an inline ball valve.

Worried what can happen if I exceed the 2000 gph rating on in the inexpensive spillway?
you'll blow it apart

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
THE OTHER OPTION IS PUSH THE WATER DOWN INTO THE POOL . BUT THAT CAN CONSTANLY BLOW THE LINER INTO SOMETHING AND FAIL PREMATURLY

Reaction score
Country
United States
THE OTHER OPTION IS PUSH THE WATER DOWN INTO THE POOL . BUT THAT CAN CONSTANLY BLOW THE LINER INTO SOMETHING AND FAIL PREMATURLY
Dang it! Looks like the simplest, and safest thing to get is Aquascape 12" spillway. Its rated up to 4000 gph. Was really trying to save some money, oh well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here’s what i did in my stream.

IMG_6274.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s about a foot wide and flowing roughly 2000 GPH. No holes. I ripped a 3/8 wide slot down the pipe with a table saw and then glued the fittings on.

Recommend gluing first, then cutting. Pipe w/slot pre-cut flexes too much to hold fittings during glue up.

Just make slot bigger than you’ll need. Size doesn’t matter as long as it’s not too small.
(That’s what she said.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s about a foot wide and flowing roughly 2000 GPH. No holes. I ripped a 3/8 wide slot down the pipe with a table saw and then glued the fittings on.

Recommend gluing first, then cutting. Pipe w/slot pre-cut flexes too much to hold fittings during glue up.

Just make slot bigger than you’ll need. Size doesn’t matter as long as it’s not too small.
(That’s what she said.)
Interesting, I just need to figure out how to feed the pvc more from an angle,.. since I already have everything prepped for a rear mount spillway. Perhaps I could glue a 90 degree on one end, and feed that with the flex? That way I could still sit the pvc perpendicular to the stream bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting, I just need to figure out how to feed the pvc more from an angle,.. since I already have everything prepped for a rear mount spillway. Perhaps I could glue a 90 degree on one end, and feed that with the flex? That way I could still sit the pvc perpendicular to the stream bed.

If I understand what you're describing, put a tee on the flex and a length of pipe w/ cap on each side of the tee. However wide necessary.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I understand what you're describing, put a tee on the flex and a length of pipe w/ cap on each side of the tee. However wide necessary.
And obviously NOT cut a slot in the tee, but on both the side pieces? Also, how do I know how much gph a pvc diy spillway can handle before blowing off the end caps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And obviously NOT cut a slot in the tee, but on both the side pieces?

There's no problem slotting the tee.

Also, how do I know how much gph a pvc diy spillway can handle before blowing off the end caps?

Not relevant. GPH—or volume of flow—doesn't blow apart plumbing systems. Pressure does. And adding an opening to a plumbing system decreases pressure, so this is a self-regulating problem. And pond pumps are very low pressure pumps. You would be hard pressed to find one that could even begin to stress a properly joined pvc joint.

Schedule 40 psi is rated to something like 450 psi, which converts to something like 1000 feet of head. The most powerful backyard pond pumps can barely overcome 50 feet of head.

However you do it, it'll work. Stop overthinking it. That's my job!

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's no problem slotting the tee.

Not relevant. GPH—or volume of flow—doesn't blow apart plumbing systems. Pressure does. And adding an opening to a plumbing system decreases pressure, so this is a self-regulating problem. And pond pumps are very low pressure pumps. You would be hard pressed to find one that could even begin to stress a properly joined pvc joint.

Schedule 40 psi is rated to something like 450 psi, which converts to something like 1000 feet of head. The most powerful backyard pond pumps can barely overcome 50 feet of head.

However you do it, it'll work. Stop overthinking it. That's my job!
Thanks!

Ask a Question