Ponds and hot weather...

Reaction score
I am also having an algae problem. I have plenty of plants and aeration. I have two waterfalls into the pond. I have been using algae killer safe for plants and fish and still no results. Anyone have any suggestions? Besides what I have already tried and failed with?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Build a large bio filter like mine or DrCase's. Search this forum for our pictures. Mine went from pea soup to crystal clear in a couple days. One year later, still clear.

Reaction score
What kind of filter are you using? If it is a homemade bio filter then it will go green before it clears up because it has to get the bacteria established before it will start doing what it is suppose to do. Don't worry it will start working before you know it, you will go out one day & it will clear up just over night. Don't give up on it!! I personally don't like using algae killer because while it kills the algae & it dies it just feeds new algae blooms which then just restarts the cycle over again. You could try putting some non-scented non-clumping cheap kitty litter in your pond to help control algae on surfaces.

Reaction score
Make sure you check you water PH... I had a problem last spring where I lost all my fish...some I had for 7 to 8 years...It was spring so I did my yearly water change put pond starter in it got out all the chlorine did everything..Got new fish and within 5 minutes of putting them in all fish would die ..Did this several times..I had never had a problem like this if anything my pond was always full of baby fish...Finally someone told me to check my water the PH. I never had to do that..Well that was it..Come to find out our city water is awful.. when I would add water to the pond it would drop the ph level to a deadly level...Like dropping them in acid...I was told to add baking soda and that did the trick..cleared it up...The only problem is what will I do this summer when i need to add water??? I added more fish last fall and they made it through the winter and i have babies too and now i am scared to add any water..Lucky it has rained every week so far and has kept my water level up..

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I do have a home made biological filter. It is the one on the skippy's website. The mini one since my pond is only about 350 gallons. I hope this will clear up soon. I have been waiting at least a month now and nothing. I also have a friend who has a small pond that has definetly cycled. It has been set up for years and she has a problem with algae also. I bought some more algae killer, but now I am not sure if that is the answer or not. I have been putting in the good bacteria since setting up the new filter. I got some new bacteria with barley yesterday and am going to start using that. Will let ya'll know if that works. In the mean time any more ideas? All help is great.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
butterfly are you using the scruber pads in it ?? if so did you read the part about not cleaning them ??? i have them in 2 filters now and ordered some for a 3 rd today.... i just open the bottom drain and drain it, then let it fill back up..

Reaction score
Yes, I have not cleaned it yet. I have had it set up about 4 weeks now. It did drain out this past Sunday because we lost power and the pump made it back out and drain the whole thing. It did just drain into our pond so that was good and when the power came back on it just filled up again. I also have a plant in it. I have been using the new bacteria I bought and it seems to be helping. The water is clearer but still pea soup.

Reaction score
Thank you Dr Dave. I am trying to keep patient. The new bacteria I bought seems to be a great product. I have seen results right away and have only used it twice. I can now see my fish and my plant containers. Still a little more to go, but I think this stuff will do it. Yes! Finally! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.

Ask a Question