ponds and rain

Reaction score
sissy said:
I have crushed oysters in mine as of about 2 weeks ago .I have 2 bags in each filter should I add more they are about 6 inches round and 12 inches long

How do you put the crushed oyster shells in your filter system? I seen where someone is putting it in bags is that how you do it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use mesh bags that they put thistle in for birds and you can get them at tractor supplyI put them on top of my filters because mine are up filters and I hang one near the waterfall

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Christy said:
How do you put the crushed oyster shells in your filter system? I seen where someone is putting it in bags is that how you do it?

You just want them where there is water flow, in the filter, at a water fall, etc

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used to be able to get the finer mesh bags at the dollar store in the summer 6 bags a dollar and last year they clearanced them out end of season and got them for 33 cents .I know they just get them in the summer thats why I bought them up

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can find finch seed bags at tractor supply and also at some walmarts they work great not to fine but fine enough

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
buy a pair of dollar store nylons.. cut off what you need from a leg... fill it with the crushed oyster shells...tie it off...and place it in your pond, filter or wherever....its that easy!!! its even easier if you or someone in your house has a pair you can have..... the nylons allow for good flow without the grit being released. an old tube sock will work well!!
just a note...i use the nylons for mine, works great!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried nylons and after a week they started to fall apart do not know why ,but had tights in the house tried them not bad never thought of socks .I had the finch socks because I put thistle in them and they where better, but not great but better to hang as they already had a draw string to hang them from the waterfall . .But maybe socks may last longer in the filter . good idea

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since the questions up what test kits does anyone use that they think works better because all the ones I bought give so many different readings that i'm not sure any more .I hear good things about ones and then find it does not work well or is hard to read or figure out .I would love one that really works or is that asking to much .They can send a man to space but they can't make a good quality water test kit for ponds .I have taken mine a couple of times to a local pet store here that will test the water for you .Free if you buy from them 3 dollars if not ,but then it takes a half hour to get there ,but it is nice they give you a whole read out of your water .You leave and come back in 2 hours and it's ready sometimes ,that also depends on how many they have to do .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use a ECO pH Meter for ph, KoiMedic for salt and LaMotte products for other test

Ask a Question