Maintenance Trick For Bottm Drain Ponds

Reaction score
We have had a pond since 1997, and Cliff only discovered this trick about 3 years ago -- by accident.
We have a bottom drain with a 90 degree angle and a two 45 degree angle's. The bottom drain
gets clogged several times during the season with leaves, rocks, and pebbles (especially pebbles from
the koi foraging in the lily pots) Cliff would put two hoses together on the shop vac and force
it down past the two 45 degree angle's and the 90 degree angle..(not an easy task, to push, turn, and twist a hose
past these angles.) Then he would both vacuum and blow out the line.
One day he forced in the wrong end of the hose down the line by mistake. Once the house got
past the 45 degree angle's the fitting at the end of the hose got stuck, and would not budge. It was a nightmare...

Well, we were in big trouble, with a stuck hose that wouldn't budge...

P1010198_2_rev__pond_diagram.JPG

After several hours of trying to get the house out, a light bulb went on in his head. He tied a
rag (boy scout knot) in the center of a very long strong nylon line. He dropped the line down from inside the first filter tub
all the way through, once it got all the way through, he tied the one end of the line to the dock.
Then he began pulling the rag through the line from inside the tub, then he tied the end of the line
to a crate just outside the first tub. Then pulled the line attached to the dock, again pulling the rag through all the way.
He alternated pulling both ends of the nylon line until the vacuum hose loosened and he was able to be pulled out the stuck
hose

The nylon line in now part of his regular maintenance...It is now so easy to keep
the drain line free from any debris.

The long nylon line (with the rag in the center) is now
permanently attached in our pond --- the nylon line is attached on one end to the dock and on the other
end to a crate (just outside the filter tub)
He pulls on it to loosen and remove leaves, pebbles, etc...as part of his normal maintenance. There is no longer a need
to drag out the shop vac and vacuum out the drain line,
when it gets clogged... Also, the clean drain line helps keep the pond running more effectively,
thus, there is less filter maintenance as the clogged lines always slow down the flow of water in the filter tubs.
He cleans the tubs a lot less since discovering this trick. Only once a week now.

BTW...he initially used a snake to get the line all the way through the drain line...

This is the deep section 3 1/2 feet deep. Cliff removed the dome on the BD and put two milk
crates on top of the drain and then a lily...see the rock mess the koi make, digging in the pots?
Well, it's no longer a big problem, the rag tied to the cord is under the crates and pulled on one side
from the small wood dock, and pulled from the other side from by the filter tubs...
This year they knocked over the new lily THREE times already. Now we have it surrounded by
big bolders...and even more rocks have to be scooped out of the pond floor!
Why do they do that!?!

Reaction score
Re: Maintenance Trick For Bottom Drain Ponds

Here is the milk crates covering the BD..

p1010038lily__rev___6-28-04.jpg

THis year the head guy had the pond nursery plant the lily, tey did a great job with lots of pebbles and a thick coat of sand....
Did I mention that they knocked it over THREE times,
....so far! yes, I know I did...

Reaction score
So, what you are saying is that it's like your have a permanent snake as part of your BD system. Not a bad "mistake" that Cliff created there!

Reaction score
Yes, it was a great mistake getting the wrong end of
vacuum hose stuck, and a great solution
to use the cord and rag to loosen it...

If any rocks and pebbles clog the plumbing.... he just tugs the cord from both sides,
and the water runs freely again. He actually gives the cord a tug several times a week,
cause it's as easy as falling off a log...

This is going to be published in the next Rockland Koi Society news letter.
(they contacted me when I put this on another forum)

It's so easy, so simple, so effective and time saving.

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm... I wonder if you could mount a pulley inside the elbow just under the dome? This way the dome can stay ( not that I don't like the milkcrate lily combo, really lovely ) and the nylon rope would be like a clothes line. Send the rag or even a chimney brush, down to the dome and back up. Put it on a snap hook or something. Either way it is a great idea thatnks for sharing.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I asked the question Squid. Install something in there now that you've got nothing running for the future. And with the ability to tug on it every few weeks just to keep things loose and moving.

Sorta like a built in roto-rooter device. LOL!

Cliff and Joann are always keeping us thinking....

Reaction score
squidhead, The dome is more trouble than it's worth only because of all the rocks and stones
that get caught arount the drain and dome. The dome has little feet that fit into the drain
thing. In order to get it lined up properly, the head guy has to dive down and do some manuvering
to get it to 'sit correctly' ...He has trouble staying down, he bounches up in
the water, so I have to stand on the small wood dock and hold him down with a rake!
...are you laughing yet? So he took off the dome, and uses a milk crate.

The rag on the cord works great... It's so easy to do, he just reaches down and
tugs the cord a few times and then drops the
cord. I see him do it -- on the litttle dock all the time,
and he does it often by the filter as well...Since he came up with this the pond is
running more efficiently . He cleans the filter boxes a lot less often. When the pumps used to
slow down he always thought it was because the filters needed cleaning...when actually
the case was -- pebbles and sand accumulating in the 90* angle.

DoDad...it's a 3" drain, we wish it was 4" when we built our pond in 1997, we only
had books to go on, and fortunately met someone that had a pond and recommended
the bottom drain, as well as building the pond with shelves all around --so that you can
pile up the rocks on the shelf so that (1) it looks natural with no liner showing and (2)
you can move the rocks and place plants on the shelves then cover the plant pots with rocks
again and (3) plant lots of plants bare root in between the rocks on the shelves.

Reaction score
:LOL:Yes I am laughing at holding someone under water with a rake so they don't float to the top.:lol:
I will keep the dome removal in mind if it becomes an issue. For right now I want to utilize the shape of it and the aerator for better circulation and waste removal. I have installed a cleanout to the bottom drain just before my 3"pipe reduces to 2" for easier snaking from the outside in. For the drain I plan on using an extending aluminum pole that's used for pools. I am going to make some different tools to attach to the end of it to clean out the little area between the dome and pond floor.

Reaction score
Good post Joann. Perhaps it could get tacked up on the DIY side.

Someone on another forum suggested something similar. In his case he uses those nylon kitchen scrubbies tied to his line to "scrub" his bottom drain line.

I have the same set up as you do with the bottom drain and two 45 degree elbows. However, where you have your water entering into tub#1, I have a ball valve there and the 2" line then goes to my leaf basket and then the pump. My pump is below grade and I don't have the means of running a rag or scrubbies through the bottom drain without flooding my pump vault. I would need to lower my water level by about 6" before I could do so without flooding.......

All that to say that you built your pond right and I did not......

Fortunately, I have only had one clog in 12 years and that was due to a large amount of hornwort getting sucked into the drain. It was a major pain getting the clog removed and a system such as yours surely would have been painless.... I no longer have hornwort in my pond....

Reaction score
He has trouble staying down, he bounches up in
the water, so I have to stand on the small wood dock and hold him down with a rake!
...are you laughing yet?
Now this brings back memories....... I wouldn't trust the fetching Mrs. MikeyToo holding me underwater with a rake...... I'm afraid she might start thinking about a life insurance policy that makes me worth more dead than alive.......LOL.... When I had to go diving to remove my clogged drain I too had a difficult time staying on the bottom. Like a cork, I kept bobbing back up to the surface. I then got this 5lb lead weight that I made a necklace for and hung around my neck and that enabled me to stay under water without the assistance of my bride....
Pondfix002.jpg

Reaction score
Maybe I'll rethink the pulley system before I fill. Could even just have a loop hanging out that is knotted or has a washer on it that is too big to be sucked in. Then just hook it with the extending pole and pull it up one way with a "brush" on the other end and another cord to pull it back into place. That sounds much easier and trouble free then a pulley. I just have to think of the best way to keep it from pulling up on the dome. I have a few ideas, just have to settle on the best and safest. This sounds like it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work I can just pull it through.

Reaction score
Hi Mickey :regular_waving_emot
, My friends laughed like crazy when I told them about the rake trick.
They said, if anything ever happened to Cliff in the pond, no one would believe
that there was 'no foul play' -- when they saw the rake marks on his back!

Squidhead, why can't you do what we did? a long nylon cord with a rag tied securely in the middle. The cord is tied on one end to the dock and on the other end tied to a milk crate outside the filters. When you pull one end the rag goes into the pipe, and then when you pull the other end the rag comes out along with sand and stones, and leaves and plants etc...
Is that clear?

Ask a Question