sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm not sure what to do with these spring rains I know we need it but it really messes up the pond water .Anyone out there that have any tricks they use during heavy rains that work to keep water clearer .I would love to hear it as I have no luck every year same thing .Any products you use that are safe and work ,let me know .I have seen these products advertised like green clean and I think the other was hydro crystals or something like that but I am worried about ph with some of these .What have you used and had luck with

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is it actually the rain that messes things up or is it the sunshine shining on the water causing the green if that's what you are talking about?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be both but water is not really green just cloudy and we have had a lot of rain here the other day over 2 inches and this did not start until after the rain .My pond is in full sun about 3 o'clock as it is shaded by the house until then .And also the temps have been from one end of the spectrum to the other .Yesterday they said the temp was going to be 65 but the temp. by my pond said 80 and last night it dropped to 30 again and tomorrow it is supposed to rain hard again .I have a rain gage out by the pond and plastic yard stick under the bridge and the water went up over 3 inches from the rain we had .Plus I have just started to raise the all sides of the pond 6 inches there are 2 filters going one on each end of the pond one pump is 940 gph and the other pump at the other end is 1268 gph .

Attachments

• new waterfall 012.jpg
    new waterfall 012.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
i had the same issue and then added crushed oyster shells, it kept my water ph locked in at 7.7 and has taken away all of the cloudyness in the water

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to change the time on this stupid camera anyone know that too it's a kodak easy share c 160 and time and date are wrong I keep changing them but as soon as I change the battery it goes again and sometimes even when I turn it off too . So you just think the filters will clear it up .This pic was taken awhile ago but not sure of date ,know it was before I started lifting sides and before other filter was going

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have crushed oysters in mine as of about 2 weeks ago .I have 2 bags in each filter should I add more they are about 6 inches round and 12 inches long

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know the pic was taken before I finished other filter and you can see how clear the water was then should I add more oyster shells that makes it at least 2 weeks ago

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze thought my first post got lost said internal error what happened you can see the yard stick I have it up on a pvc pipe on the bottom so the fish can't knock it over .

Reaction score
somebody tell me the advantage of oyster shells? I've getting ready to build a 55 gal barrel filter. I have purchased floor scrubbers for the primary media. Should I consider integrating oyster shells somehow for PH??

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Can somebody also tell me where to buy the oyster shells (or crushed coral as I've heard it does the same thing). We have no pond supply place near us that I can find. I did buy the Special Kitty cat litter I saw mentioned in another thread but I can't find the crushed oyster shells. I may have to go to the fish store by the bay and beg them for some I can crush myself.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Oh, and Sissy, we often get rains like that and it does make the water cloudy, but the filters get it back to normal again by the next day, usually. I haven't had to do anything special except keep checking the ph.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JustJack said:
Can somebody also tell me where to buy the oyster shells (or crushed coral as I've heard it does the same thing). We have no pond supply place near us that I can find. I did buy the Special Kitty cat litter I saw mentioned in another thread but I can't find the crushed oyster shells. I may have to go to the fish store by the bay and beg them for some I can crush myself.

I just bought a 50 lb bag at the tractor store, with is like a feed store for 9.99 They carry it for chickens etc.

Check out your local feed stores, farm animal type feed stores.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreByStateView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! I have mesh bags from bulbs I put in last year, going to put the stuff in those bags.

Ask a Question