Ponds first winter...how do I keep it running?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
As a counter point, if the pump is not on the bottom then debris settles and cannot be removed by the pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
No pump should be on the bottom ,if you ever get a hose leak you will drain the pond to the bottom .I used to tie mine on top of a crate until my big koi knocked it over and it drain the pond to a foot from the bottom ,the crate saved the fish .it was scary .No I have a pipe across the pond and tie my laguna pumps to the handle of the pump and then to the pipe .

Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean, Sissy. The kind of pump I have must rest on the bottom.
Some people have found that a submersible pump is better kept elevated off the bottom of the pump to avoid pumping all the water out of the pond if you should have a crack develop in your plumbing - if the pump is directly on the bottom you could find your pond pumped dry. If it's raised up - on a crate for example- your pump would run dry, but there would still be water left in the pond.

then debris settles and cannot be removed by the pump
I don't think you want to suck debris up with your pump - unless you have a pump designed to handle solids.

Ask a Question