Ponds first winter...how do I keep it running?

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by Stickcharmer, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Stickcharmer

audioenvy

As a counter point, if the pump is not on the bottom then debris settles and cannot be removed by the pump.

audioenvy, Nov 4, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Stickcharmer

sissy sissy

No pump should be on the bottom ,if you ever get a hose leak you will drain the pond to the bottom .I used to tie mine on top of a crate until my big koi knocked it over and it drain the pond to a foot from the bottom ,the crate saved the fish .it was scary .No I have a pipe across the pond and tie my laguna pumps to the handle of the pump and then to the pipe .

sissy, Nov 4, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Stickcharmer

Lisak1

Some people have found that a submersible pump is better kept elevated off the bottom of the pump to avoid pumping all the water out of the pond if you should have a crack develop in your plumbing - if the pump is directly on the bottom you could find your pond pumped dry. If it's raised up - on a crate for example- your pump would run dry, but there would still be water left in the pond.

I don't think you want to suck debris up with your pump - unless you have a pump designed to handle solids.

Lisak1, Nov 4, 2017
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question