Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Spring is Coming in just six long hard cold months! ha ha ha! Last weekend of summer and man is it ever nice this week!! Been outside sitting by pond relaxing and drinking this dark bold wine that stains my lips deep red! Oh I love a glass of this new wine before bed, it really helps me relax and get a good nites sleep!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We ate dinner by the deck pond, watched the bees inhale water. po'd the finches since they could not come and feed on the algae while we sat there.
Beautiful evening.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I envy your hornwort and aspire to grow an underwater forest just like yours... maybe someday!!
My hornwort grows better in my 1000 gallon stock tank then it does in the big pond. Not sure why, water temp the same, the stock tank hornwort is shallower, that may be the reason, only 2.5 feet deep

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks for the lovely coments my friends! My hornwort grows good in all three ponds now, and the deepest is about 3 feet. The fish eat lots of it every spring, to the point where there is almost nothing left! It is the perfect food for spring and late fall, as I usually stop feeding the fish this time of the year, however we have been having some nice weather the last week or so. After the fish have gorged themselves on the hornwort all spring, then they are tired of eating that and beg for dog food. I think that because I feed the fish the high quality puppy chow, and then the fish grow so big and poop lots, there must be lots of nutrients in the water for the hornwort to absorb. Hornwort also does good in lots of sun and clear water. If the water is colored or green, then the hornwort will not get as much sun. I will have plenty of hornwort for the fish to munch on all winter and spring again this year.... till they eat it almost all gone, and then the little bit left over will regenerate next summer and so the cycle continues.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think mine doesn't get enough sun. Never really grew that big. I may have to move it to more sun if that is possible. I need a bigger pond. I know you will all say start digging but there, I already said it but I will never get around to it.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
JW I have hardly any sun too, but it still grows very well under the shade of the big yellow flag. The front yard pond gets more sun but I cannot grow the hornwort good in that pond either. I really think it needs lots of special koi poop! ha ha ha

Seen my pregnant sister today, she came into the store shopping, have not seen her for about a month and a half. She does not look any bigger than she did back in July! I do not know what is going on and never asked. Never seen no baby either...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I might keep my pond too clean cuz I'm always using that quilt batting too along w/ the prefilters and I clean those when the falls start slowing down. Poor Hornwort it starving to death.

I wonder if your sister is really prego? There is such a thing as false pregnancy where your belly grows some and looks pregnant. Well you said her due date hasn't passed yet awhile back so after that happens then I would start to wonder if too long passes.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
She does not look like the other women who are ready to give birth, and there seems to be a whole lot of women at the grocery store that look like they are all going to give birth at the same time these days!! (must have something to do with the extreme cold we had back in December) The other women look like they all have big beach balls in there tummy and she looks "deflated" compared to them!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Her diet is making her smaller and not gain too much weight. She will be fine............I hope and baby too! What does your mom think?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My mother does not know what to think, and she does not talk with our mother, she also turned her kids against their grandmother, just because she is estranged, cause we once fed her kid a slice of apple pie, when she just turned into a new RAW vegan! No wonder I cannot stand "preachy vegans" That sister is the only sister who has next to nothing to do with our sweet dear mother. Some day she will regret being so mean to our mother.... now she is no longer a RAW vegan, but a regular vegan.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have to get my password reset, cause I cannot remember my password and need to log on with my new cell phone so I can post from my new cell phone. This pad is getting old, and it crashes lots. I find I hardly use my new laptop computer cause it is not as moble. going to do that on my next day off.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm so sorry for your sister not getting to enjoy being w/ your lovely mother. Lots would give anything to have such a nice mother. I don't know the difference between a raw or a regular vegan. I guess one does not cook the veggies and one does? Does a raw vegan eat grains? I know they don't eat meat but some eat eggs and milk etc. or is there a difference if you call it being a vegetarian? I am a carnivore and like my steaks rare, throw it across the grill and call it good.............yum (y)

Maybe addy or DrCase can help you w/your password or Ian?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
RAW vegans ONLY eat RAW veggies and fruit, no grains, dairy, no nothing from an animal, and everything raw and uncooked. Regular Vegans eat raw and cooked, then they can justify eating french fries! Vegans do not eat anything that comes from an animal. That includes honey, cause it is mean to the bees according to hard core raw vegans....

Vegetarians are much more "normal", they usually eat much more foods such as eggs, dairy, honey, ect. Some even eat fish!
RAW Vegans are VERY Extreme and "radicalized" and VERY "preachy" RAW Vegans are extreme, too extreme for regular vegetarians.

Ask a Question