Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I aways have one rolled up in bathroom cause I use it to clean fish tanks too and top up pond when it is so darn cold.

To tell you the truth I am shocked it never burned down sooner! I used to have way more candles heating it at one time before I got little plug in heater. Then the fire caused the breaker to trip and pumps shUT down and I was outside in my sandals with bare toes in the snow, no time for coat just nighty and it was minus 28 without wind chill, FUNNY I don't remember feeling cold cause I was too panicked!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
After I put fire out I worked on getting pumps back up and running. Everything was panic panic for a while but fish are all safe and sound back with ice cold running water. I panic cause without pumps the ponds would freeze way too hard for my liking.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh no Colleen that was such a neat place you had all fixed up w/all your pretty plants and decorations. I'm so sorry and now poor little Mia will have to freeze her buns when potty time comes. Glad it was just the green house tho and not your home.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not to worry JW cause I was going to rebuilt it, now it will just happen in spring and I did manage to save a couple succulents so I can restart lots fresh in the spring. I do like to build and the next one will be much better! Just have to wait till spring cause no way I am going to hammer up a storm in this freezing weather!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
EEE GADs wonder why your neighbors didn't notice and call the fire dept. Good thing they didn't tho cuz they would have really made a mess of the place I bet w/their big fire hoses.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We just got home from Christmas Party in Brooks at about 11 pm and I stuck my head out the side window to the ponds to check on them first and noticed a very bright light coming from back of house. I think fire had just started to grow really big and I knew right away that there must have been fire cause half of back yard was lit up!! I very quickly hooked up hose in bathroom and threw it out the side window. Then I ran almost barefoot in snow and grabbed hose and put fire out. I was so panicked I Don't remember being cold without jacket in summer shoes standing there. It was very very cold last night, hubby says it was minus 28 degrees Celsius and that is cold.
Neighbors were all probably under blankets staying warm. I got there just in the nick of time. Had fire department shown up I would have to explain why I had greenhouse structure and they would probably have wanted to see "building permit" or something ....

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well that is pretty big then, so I could built it bigger and have it so one section can be closed for winter and then only heat half the greenhouse. Then I can lower the roof in the winter and close the triangle peak of the roof off with a layer of ploy, and that big air gap would keep lots more heat in. Of course I would condense all the plants down till spring cause they are not growing to fast, and then open other half in spring. Then I would have more large pull down windows at each end for better air movement in spring. Sometimes the best thing for greenhouse is a good breeze in the spring cause it can get hot and stuffy. Then I move lots of plants to the window ledge that is created when the window pulls down.

I think I will move it so it is further back away from house, move it 10 feet away from house. I going to have it nicer and better.

Ask a Question