Ponds in Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, so sorry Collen. I'm glad it didn't jump to your house. I'd say candles might be too risky to heat with. I'm sad you lost so many pretty plants.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well it was my own fault, I never sealed greenhouse and should have made it air tight so candles would not burn so high. Previously I used to make it air tight but then candles would go out cause of lack of air.

Next one will be more insulated so I can just use one plug in heater.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh it looks so sad in there now w/all your lovelies gone up in smoke. I have used one of those radiator type heaters in mine at times during the winters past and it worked well. Course your electric bill goes up some.
Like this one:
iu

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well I was in there cleaning and throwing some stuff out, it is sad to see my big succulent plants all still hanging perfectly froze! I should have rescued more but it was so dark and smoky at the time, and all I saw was burnt stuff. When the smoke cleared, it was too late cause it was deadly cold that night and everything that was not burned had by then froze hard.

Maybe there will be a long Chinook nice "window" of weather in January or February and I can rebuilt it then. I did save some succulents and I will be busy dividing everything and making more for spring. My nice pond Calla roots were in there too and I should have taken them in, but again it was dark and very smoky and I was tired and depressed after that. Well maybe I will just go with hardy pond plants cause I have lots of them anyway and it is much easier when you do not have to dig things out and move them inside.

My good garden friend here in town has a nice garden, and she has all hardy stuff that looks good well into fall, I should do more stuff like that but I really love my annuals and tropical plants, so I will just have to build another greenhouse to sit in all winter. I am already dreaming of how I will build it this time....

Happy note, here is little Rio all snuggled with happy hubby!
20141130_131656.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I decided I will fix the burnt wood on the side that got burned and replace the Plastic tomorrow and put in cement blocks for floor like hubby wants. I will get a new and better heater and maybe even hang some lights on frame to cheer hubby up. I have Wednesday and Thursday off to get it done.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That way I can start transplants of succulents and get my fairy garden alive in time for spring! The side that is burnt will be turned into a little space for a small table and chairs so I can sit and have a space on the other side with fresh soft wood chips in a special box for Rio to use as outhouse.

Next summer I will work on new greenhouse.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We already had real cold, last weekend was minus 28 Celsius, and that was even colder when the wind chill factored in. Last Saturday night driving home from Xmas Party in Brooks, the heaters were full blast but still had ice forming on side windows. Then you could feel the drafty ice cold air creeping in the truck.

Ask a Question