j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I stuck my flag irises in the rocks around the waters edge w/ their roots in the water and they are doing so great they sometimes knock the big rocks right down into the pond. Their roots are long and they must be sucking up nutrients like crazy!
Cute photo of the dogs digging like crazy...........butt's to the sky,lol!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
In the winter the fish swim under the yellow flag, when they get real big they grow beyond the shelf and float. That big clump that I have is floating over three feet of water! There is no shelf there! The pond looks real good this morning, yellow flag is growing very fast, one or two inches every day now. It will soon bloom, maybe in two weeks or so, then you will see hundreds of blooms. Love my yellow flags.

I also have aquatic aquatic mint that also floats, jumped out of pot many years ago, when you put your hand in to touch the mint, the wonderful mint smell is so intense, the most intense smell of all the mints that I have smelled. Even in winter, under the ice, the smell of the aquatic mint is so powerful. Aquatic mint grows best where there is good flow of water. Makes real good tea too, can you see it growing in my top pond, floating in the water, its abouts three inches tall now. Flower petals from crab apple trees are falling in the pond now.

Attachments

• IMAG1077.jpg
    IMAG1077.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 687
  • IMAG1070.jpg
    IMAG1070.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 659

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I stopped by walmart yesterday in NC and in the fresh produce section what do I see but fresh mint and chives growing in small pots .How handy already growing for you .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Have you ever heard of "aquatic" mint way down in NC? Wonder if it would grow down there? I know that in states that don't freeze, you can grow cat-tails, but you will never get a "catkin" cause it does'nt freeze. Catkins are the big fluffy top of a cat-tail. Do you have cat-tails down there?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Have the cat tails in my pond here but then it does freeze and they grow catkins and they too I stick in the rocks. Might have to move them tho as they really start rearranging the furniture when spreading. Don't know about NC.

I think my Iris's are just starting to head out from the rocks to the water to float also. It'll be cool when they do cuz I like that look of them floating Colleen! Might have to get me some of that aquatic mint............so it's different then regular mint eh?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, its Latin name is Mentha aquatica, or water mint. it is zoned for 5 to 11 but it grows well in my pond here in zone 3, most likely because the rhizomatous roots are below the ice, and I heat the pond when temp falls below 0 degrees fahrenheit. There are many different types of mint throughout the world. All mints have a "square" stem, so next time you have fresh mint, feel the stem, you will see that it is square, then look in your yard or area for plants with a square stem, most likely you will have some type of mint growing wild in your area. We have many different types of wild mint that grow naturally here, but most people don't realize that the mint is everywhere, and think that they are weeds. Each different mint will have a different smell, some smell like peppermint. Spearment, and water mint smells like licorice mint, that's why I love aquatic mint so much.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cat tails grow all over here and when they go puff they go puff ,little fluffies everywhere .Down by the coors beer plant they have a swampy area with cattails and lots of hops that grow wild .As kids we used to cut cattails and burn the tops of them ,they say they keep mosquitos away I have chocolate mint ,great on ice cream .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Love chocolate mint iceceam, double churned please! I still play with the cat tails down by the creek, puppies like to chase the fluffies. I don't have any cat tails in my pond, cat tails love lots and lots of hot summer sun, and I don't get all day sun cause I've got to many trees.

Got a real good picture of the big yellow water iris floating in my pond this morning, sun was angled just right.

Crab apple trees blooming and so are my cherry trees, and they smell up the whole yard like a giant air freshener! Flower petals falling into pond. Choke cherry trees are going to bloom next week. I love choke cherries, their my favorite, pick them right off the tree and eat in late fall. They taste better after a couple good frosty nights.

It's going get to almost 80 today, nights are still cold, down to 34 last nite, OK do you spell night, nite or night? :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Love chocolate mint iceceam, double churned please! I still play with the cat tails down by the creek, puppies like to chase the fluffies. I don't have any cat tails in my pond, cat tails love lots and lots of hot summer sun, and I don't get all day sun cause I've got to many trees.

Got a real good picture of the big yellow water iris floating in my pond this morning, sun was angled just right.

Crab apple trees blooming and so are my cherry trees, and they smell up the whole yard like a giant air freshener! Flower petals falling into pond. Choke cherry trees are going to bloom next week. I love choke cherries, their my favorite, pick them right off the tree and eat in late fall. They taste better after a couple good frosty nights.

It's going get to almost 80 today, nights are still cold, down to 34 last night :)

Attachments

• IMAG1101.jpg
    IMAG1101.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 415
  • IMAG1083.jpg
    IMAG1083.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 453
  • IMAG1104.jpg
    IMAG1104.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 458

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Neighbors stopped by so gave them some passion flower plants from mine to grow and thinking now of making some home made strawberry ice cream .I froze some fresh ones I picked 2 weeks ago .Passion flowers are getting out of hand here again .

rb.

Reaction score

Ask a Question