addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not yet tried calla lilies, like your gator head, well it looks like a gator head, last picture.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes it is a gator head, has a small little gater on top of the big gator head that can spit water if needed when very hot. I think you should try some lillys cause you have warmer weather and more humid, I think it would work good in your area. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have heard good and bad about calla lilies, they spread take over etc. One plant i have not planted yet. But I have tons of plants that spread and take over...................

Love my gator head it seems to keep the herons away, so far, they fly over every day, saw three today Low flying, right over the pond, but they keep going.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Calla lillys could become in invasive in zones 8 to 10, but in your zone I think you would be fine. Don't have to worry about being invasive here in zone 2 to 3 that's for sure, but it did get real big in my greenhouse. You could sell fresh cut Calla blooms to some flower shops. Here in Canada I know a florist who wanted to purchase some of my fresh cut Calla flowers a couple years back, before I split the calla up. She said that she paid like 20 Canadian to have fresh cut Callas for this wedding arrangement. That was 20 per flower if I recall correctly!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have them in the nearly dead section of lowes, maybe I will pick up a few and see how they do. Still have a few acres I can plant. Honey wants me to put in another pond.....................we do have 4 pumps lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A neighbor gave me some of the white calla lilies a few yrs ago and I plant it in the garden and it has never bloomed. I thought maybe I planted it too deep so this year I dug it up and replanted it not as deep. Maybe it needs some fertilizer? It's in full sun. We don't get very hot here so I figured that would be ok and I see others in the neighborhood in sun and they are doing fine and blooming well.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Some plants only bloom if they are stressed, maybe give it a good kick! Ha ha
It is true that some plants will only bloom if they are under stress. My Callas do bloom, but sometimes in the winter, the greenhouse gets real cold, like below freezing, then the plant thinks it might just die, and as a last resort, will bloom and make seed!
It does tend to bloom much more in my greenhouse over the cold winter that in the nice warm summer, in the happy pond.
Fertilizer might just help too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well maybe the stress of replanting will kick their little butts into gear!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well maybe the stress of replanting will kick their little butts into gear!

Go threaten it jw! scare the poor lil plant with dug up death, then it might bloom

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll threaten to take away the slug/snail bait.............that should do it
snail3e.gif

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ha ha ha! was busy today, playing in the garden again. Today was cooler and right now tonight temp is 60. Was planting in the front yard tonight, then it started to rain. Of course its going to rain tomorrow cause its my day off! Don't even now what's going on in the news cause everyday I type to all of you:)

Today's featured plant is the MARSH MARIGOLD otherwise known as Caltha palusti.
If you live in Canada or where it is very cold, this plant is real good for you. Marsh Marigolds love the cool weather, and typically start growing in February, under the ice. I have abused this plant on many occasions, left for dead, froze solid, in small baskets in bucket with little or no water, peeled back the ice in February, and find it always growing, crumpled no less, but very green. It blooms in very early spring, although I think I need to give it some more abuse, cause life in the pond last winter must have been "way to easy" and I have only 4 blooms this year. It also tends to die back when the hot summer comes, but by then, the water lillys should be big and cover the marsh marigold nicely till fall.

PICTURES from the "bottom pond"

Attachments

• IMAG1224.jpg
    IMAG1224.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 385
  • IMAG1225.jpg
    IMAG1225.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 417
  • IMAG1210.jpg
    IMAG1210.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 424

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello, just now, ... reporting live in the rain..... it's my day off and of course it just has to rain! I'm going to huff and I'll puff and I'll blow it down to you Sissy! Wanted to have a coffee by the pond but now I just have to look out the window :-(

Somebody's bear got loose and snuck in by that tree, take a look you see it, ha ha ha!
The pond waters are turning darker in the front yard and the back, this is due to the caterpiller dung, even the puppy water bowl outside will turn the same color. Have you hugged your puppy today?

If you look at the middle picture close you will see some chewed up pieces of leaf that the caterpillers dropped in the pond from the trees. :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello, just now, ... reporting live in the rain..... it's my day off and of course it just has to rain! I'm going to huff and I'll puff and I'll blow it down to you Sissy! Wanted to have a coffee by the pond but now I just have to look out the window :-(

Somebody's bear got loose and snuck in by that tree, take a look you see it, ha ha ha!
The pond waters are turning darker in the front yard and the back, this is due to the caterpiller dung, even the puppy water bowl outside will turn the same color. Have you hugged your puppy today?

If you look at the middle picture close you will see some chewed up pieces of leaf that the caterpillers dropped in the pond from the trees. The real small round pieces are duckweed. :)

Attachments

• IMAG1255.jpg
    IMAG1255.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 401
  • IMAG1265.jpg
    IMAG1265.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMAG1264.jpg
    IMAG1264.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 361

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
How the heck did that double post happen again! I just went in to add that last line about the duckweed and Bingo, I double posted again! Can I get rid of one of the double posts, cause it bugs me? Going to suck on some coffee and look out the window.......

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cute bear living in your tree and enjoy your day off in the rain. We had some during the night but now clearing up to sun,sun, sun, here it comes!

You can edit the post but only up to an hour I think after the post. But you will have to put something in the box as it won't let you totally get rid of the whole thing(at least that's what I have found). I would just put oops,sorry I double posted or something. The edit button is grayed out down near the lower right of the page and you have to mouse over it to get it to show.

Ask a Question