Portable pond ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys so I am having a dilemma. I am moving to Texas and want to build a pond for my goldfish. I was looking at anything from 300-500 gallons. I would like to do this as cheaply as possible while still making something that looks nice. Above all the pond needs to be somewhat easily movable. I originally settled on buying a large concrete water trough and converting that into a pond but the hard thing is that Texas is hot and I’m not sure a fully above ground pond will cut it for cold water fish. I was planning on setting up a greenhouse around it for the mild winters so coldness is not a problem.

My original plan was constructing a wooden pond frame and dropping it in a hole. This way I could easily drain the pond and move the wood frame as needed, but now some people on this site don’t think that’s a good idea for various reasons. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do? Could I drop the concrete trough into a hole instead? Looking to not spend over 500$.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Check out Rubbermaid stock tanks. I just purchased a 300 gallon one and they make them bigger.
037.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 300 and a 1000 gallon stock tank, both bought off craigslist. One has my lotus plants in it, 300 gallon, the other has fish in it, both are partially buried.

DenniMac

Dogs, Cattle, Horses, Cats, & Fish? (Oh My)!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b (approx)., N Ca., Napa County Area
Country
United States
Check out Rubbermaid stock tanks. I just purchased a 300 gallon one and they make them bigger.View attachment 130403
I recently bought a “Tuff Stuff” 550g stock tank, to use for our huge goldfish (4) total. I filled the tank first, but one side bowed way out. Any suggestions? The fish are in a 75 g indoor tank now, & very crowded.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank, as well. I highly recommend it. To minimize heat, you could put it under a tree or erect a shade sail for shade.

Ask a Question