New Pond- Plant advise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Built 2 connecting ponds on top of my ledge outcroppings. Nice view from our backyard deck.
Put some hydrangea and water lettuce in lower pond and cattails in upper. Any suggestions for additional plants here in CT. How well do natural local water lily pads work out?
Appreciate all advice. On another note, went through a stage of green water but has been clear for two weeks.
deck view.jpg
falls.jpg
lower pond.jpg
top down view.jpg
upper pond.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very pretty!

If you can get your hands on native water lilies they would do great. Rushes, sedges, irises, reeds - so many kinds of plants to choose from! What zone are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Beautiful job...watch out for predators with those easy access sides. Water lilies would help hide fish. Very picturesque.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. My wife was asking why I am standing next to her Iris's with a shovel. Guess I am going to the local lake to get some lily pads. I have lost previous fish to Herons and a mink. Have built some hiding holes in this design, hopefully the fish know enough to use them.

Ask a Question