New pond build drawing—looking for advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have started a koi pond project and I am doing the project myself after getting quoted 60-70K. The site is a natural slope so the bog area is about 4 feet higher than pond so perfect for a sloping stream/falls. Because of the slope I wanted to start with a level area with the concrete coping in place—now that is complete. My plan is to dig vertical walls from inside of concrete to about 5-6 feet with a 4” bottom drain in each area. The liner will go over the concrete and the boulders will sit on concrete so I have no risk of wall collapse over time. My plan is gravity fed bottom drains to a settlement tank, or sieve filter?? I will have a skimmer also. My plan is to have an external pump that will divert flow to both the bog and mechanical filter/UV. The bog return will be the waterfall and the mechanical filter/UV return will be the side jets. The site is in 100% sun, at least until I decide on a pergola, etc, so I would rather have overkill in filtering. So would you all use a sieve filter or settlement tank? Regarding return jets I have heard some people say put low aiming to bottom, and others 12” from surface and aiming current to skimmer? I am leaning towards the surface because it seems like with the water pressure towards the bottom that the jets would not really do much for keeping the bottom clear. If I slope the bottom toward drains I feel like I will be ok, but would love to hear thoughts. I am in no hurry, and since I am in Arizona, I am shooting to add koi the end of September and avoid summer heat. Budget is not an issue as long as it makes sense. Thanks in advance.
59861CAD-4C6A-42F2-B0A8-3AE083BA6E52.jpeg
59861CAD-4C6A-42F2-B0A8-3AE083BA6E52.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your calling of concrete coping had me confused, it is called a bond beam.

The bond beam does not guarantee that your sides will not collapse. When i was in Arizona a couple years back all i remember seeing was sand or red rock. Sand or loose soil high in sand probably will be a issue at 5 feet deep with vertical walls. while a deeper pond has its major advantages for the fish it also has a disadvantage when it comes to cleaning/ vacuuming.

I do not use a sieve or a settling chamber i have the helix skimmer with a medium density pad that controls the heavy debris in the basket then it also gets the mesh/ pad. main drain only has the pump basket strainer and thats it .

If you install a main drain check with your local code official as there are very specific rules when it comes to main drains.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The soil is not at all sandy or loose, so wall collapse will not be an issue with the “bond beam”. I do like the Helix skimmer but prefer to have gravity flow bottom drains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
don't be surprised if your local building official has no clue what your talking about.

A sixfoot depth now falls into Osha be careful i have seen many a wall let go

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes it is also called a concrete collar
A year after we built or pond, we had trouble with wall collapses and a high water table (building on clay soil). We rebuilt all of the edges and used a collar of cinderblock. It did the trick and we never had problems with wall collapses. For the high water table, we built the walls so that the pond level would be a few inches above ground level.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the high water table, we built the walls so that the pond level would be a few inches above ground level.
One thing we do not have in Arizona is a high water table! The main problem is digging through the hand pan, cliche soil. The edge does need to be higher than the land, we do get horrendous rains that do nothing but run off. I had my pond edge about 2 inches higher than the land.

My pond was 6 feet deep (there in Arizona) nothing but straight dirt walls, it never collapsed or caused issues. It was around 14000 gallons with a 40 foot stream.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For your first pond? and i thought i was the only one who was nuts going this far on my first pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For your first pond? and i thought i was the only one who was nuts going this far on my first pond.
lol second pond, the first was tiny like 6 feet long, 1.5 feet wide, 1 foot deep With two whiskey barrel top flow bog filters. Changed houses built a new pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well theres no surprise i guess i am the only nut .AND I WISH I HAD TIME TO DO IT AGAIN

Ask a Question