Post your winter ponds pics

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Ok I see....Well anytime you wanna see more snow ,I'll see what I can do.lol.
I do lke seeing your goldies out an about under the ice.What does your water temp stay out there?????

Mine seem to be happy chillin under the waterfall's legde ..
btw it's snowin again,well just small flakes.lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Actually we may get some snow tonight or over the weekend here.
I just went out and read the temp gauge in the pond and it says 39*.
The ice just got through melting on top yesterday so it's pretty darn cold in that water.
I'll not be taking a skinny dip in it anyway :regular_waving_emot

snowguy.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here is my pond on Jan 8th. Incidentally today is both Elves Presley's and my youngest daughter's birthday. I actually saw my fish for the first time in 6 weeks on Dec. 31st when it hit 60 degrees here. Then it froze back up the next day and they were gone! They looked like they had grown while I hadn't seen them. Is that possible?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 279

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We finely got a snow and cold weather , the other day .
I turned my pond off until this cold snap passes 11 deg this morning

Attachments

• snow 1.jpg
    snow 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 254
  • snow 2.jpg
    snow 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 270

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
DrCase said:
We finely got a snow and cold weather , the other day .
I turned my pond off until this cold snap passes 11 deg this morning
when you mean off ,do you mean you do not run a pump to keep the water moving?

I just shoveled 4 inches off mine this morning......I wish I had a leaf blower,might help me so I won't fall in in some places.haha
I can't skinny dip in my ponds,my better half say's I'm not allowed to get sick....lol

rdk--it's possible for them to grow some in the winter months.

CometKeith- I know the feeling when we had that heat wave mine thawed out,but as soon as the winds hit ,I got a thin layer of ice.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
digginponds said:
when you mean off ,do you mean you do not run a pump to keep the water moving?

When i turn it off .. The pump stops ,i drain my filters ,and lines ..
Its the first time off this winter , Friday i should be able to start it back up,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hey diggin, yes it was amazing. New Years eve and I got to see my fish and then everything froze up again the next day. So I actually have seen them for a total of 3 minutes in the last 60 days.
RDK, my fish definitely got bigger too. Growth rates are supposed to slow to a crawl in the winter, but we had an early cold snap this year and the fish didn't seem to know they were supposed to stop growing!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have several smaller Shubunkin's that have had some noticable growth since this last fall. Despite the fact that I stop feeding them when the temps drop below 50 to 52 degress F, they must be eating something. I have seen small earth worms crawl into the pond when we have heavy rains here. I'm sure they don't lay there, die, and rot.

Reaction score
Haven't posted since the beginning of summer when I began to dig but as you can see I am almost done. I had to post a photo as it is almost 70 degrees today and I felt sorry for all of you snow people:)

garden1.jpg

I will post some build photos soon. Quickly the pond is about 8X10X4ft and the falls are 4 feet high and 35 feet long.

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I have had a few issues with raccoons pulling the filter media out the waterfall hole and about 2000 gallons of water leaking out the filter bucket. Also a couple of times I amost lost %75 of the water as the stream settled and water snuck out the side before I could catch it. Probably because I used all the dirt from the pond to make the creek. Hopefully all that is behind me now.

3 largemouth Bass and 4 Bluegill make it a nice home. Pus a few larger goldfish and some nervous minnows. They all tried to swim upstream when I put them in but they have it figured out now. The bass are finiky and will eat a few worms but mostly harass the minnows. The bluegill eat Crickets mealworms and waxworms. They have all slowed down as it has been colder. Can't wait till spring to see if the bulbs and flowers all make it, Plus I can't wait for a few water lilies. :)

Ask a Question