addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They were having fun snacking on the deck pond plants.
20200428_090554.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, yeah, they're cute, but... what havoc they can wreak! We inadvertently trapped one in our garage last weekend. He trashed pretty much everything, as well as chewed through the wires to the garage door opener! We managed to run him out & off, only to have him *somehow* (!!!) get trapped in our shed two nights later! Geeze-louise! He ransacked the place! His "cute" factor is wearing thin around here.... :cautious:
garage visitor 03.jpg
Evidence of his continued lurking:
the work of Chuck 01.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This young buck (you can see antler buds) was enjoying its morning breakfast. Paying attention to my yorkie barking her head off.
20200429_075839.jpg
20200429_075622.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 I bet you are glad you have that tough/rugged liner in your pond! Great shot of the young buck!
For sure esp. the stream they walk in it all winter snacking on the plants. The buck was standing in the bog, so actually standing on 2 plus feet of pea gravel.
I did have one deer end up in the pond, it panicked bucking to get out, digging in its little sharp hooves trying to get over the pond wall and got a bit tangled in the net. No damage to the liner, I could see everywhere its feet dug in, all stuff wiped off the liner. No leaks! whew!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 anyone who has critters around that big and even dogs should have that tough liner in their ponds. Saves buckets of money as liners are not cheap to replace and can be a pain to repair!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My liner have saved me a lot of headache It is rated to be real tough i.e. tear strength. Stiff than epdm and a bit tougher to work with, but it sure works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lovely! I adore the grosbeaks. We only see them for a few weeks in the Spring as they migrate through. We have a ton of them this year, though! I had a male cardinal & female grosbeak engaged in a 'stare down' in the feeder the other day. Neither was eating, neither would vacate the perch, neither was actively being aggressive towards the other, but... they just sat (beaks about 2" apart) STARING. :wideyed: It was really funny to watch as they sized each other up & then finally decided to just go their separate ways.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lovely! I adore the grosbeaks. We only see them for a few weeks in the Spring as they migrate through.

Yeah, I wish they were a common sight year-round. Same with orioles, buntings, and so many other birds that I see during the spring migration. I saw at least three different grosbeaks today. Later in the day, a flock of five European Goldfinches flew in.

IMG_5517 copy.jpg

IMG_5497 copy.jpg

This young squirrel climbed up the fence and scared them all away, but they came back awhile later.
IMG_5515 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If we were a bit higher in elevation the grosbeaks might stick around, but we're only at 2200 feet & they nest around 3000 - 3500 +. It's fun to see them while they're here, though.
feeder birds 05.JPG
feeder birds 11.JPG
Indigo buntings we have all summer, though.
indigo bunting 01.JPG

Ask a Question