Post your yard and pond visitors

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
First spring with my in-ground pond, had been hearing their call the last few days and noticed these toads taking advantage of the accommodations this morning:

Toad Breeding Spring 2020 016.JPG

Another uncovered female about a foot away from the pair:

Toad Breeding Spring 2020 002.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The grosbeaks are here as well. 5 at the feeders this morning as well as an indigo bunting. Impossible to get picks with the window film up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now we just have to hope our 'snake deflector system' keeps Wally (our resident rat snake) out of their nest.
what kind of snake deflector...............we have loss a few nests to our resident rat snakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The nest is on our porch rafters, so regular baffles don't work on the 4 X 4 support posts. In the past I've had pretty good success keeping the snakes off by wrapping the posts in heavy black plastic & spraying it with cooking oil so they'd be too slippery to climb. It was really messy, though, so this year we tried making our own baffles out of kid's plastic snow saucers. They were pretty easy to cut & fit around the posts, then we used duct tape to seal the cut & used a couple of nails to hold them up. So far, so good. Wally's been hanging around, but so far hadn't gotten up there.
nest defense baffles 01.jpg
The outdoor dog beds are a different story, though. :sneaky:
Wally's bed 01.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww nice job! My problem is the wrens build anywhere at snake level, a hard place to protect them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, the wrens are a whole 'nother story! :rolleyes: Last year they nested on the bakers rack on the porch. Couldn't keep Wally out of that one. (sigh) Then they rebuilt in the pot of my ponytail palm that I put out on the porch. Good thing it's a plant that can go a LONG time in between waterings... (sigh again) That time they successfully raised the babies, though, although we had to put up an X-pen around the area when they were ready to fledge to keep my dogs away from the little ones hopping around. They're really good about not bothering wildlife, but fluttering birdies right at ground level is a bit hard to resist.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was watching a nest on the cam, they were just ready to fledge, we could see them doing all the fluttering, on some junk under the deck. We left for about 15 minutes, came back the babies were gone. So of course I watch the recordings, mr rat snake invaded the nest, but the little birds bailed right before it got there.
Poor mom came back with food to a empty nest. We looked for the kids but they were gone, I don't think the snake got them, they probably managed to fly and or run out into the yard to hide.
The next nest the snake got the eggs. I removed the item the birds were nesting on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh my goodness. I don't think I could have watched that video - way too close a call for my heart. :sneaky: I've only come across fledgling wrens one time, several years ago. They were bopping around on the ground under our raised deck - must have just taken the plunge before I happened to wander by. Of course I had to stop & take pictures (while Mama wren hung around 'yelling' at me! lol) but they did flutter off into the woods very quickly.

Fortunately the phoebes can fly pretty well right from the get-go. I've seen them fledge & the babies can make it all the way over our fence from the porch rafter, so I don't have to worry about them dropping into the dogs' area.

B

Burd

This guy just walks up and pushes the squirrels off their own feeder. You can almost see what he’s thinking.
My daughter showed me this, I made one of those picnick tables going around on line. Lol.
1A6FCFE0-1850-42D9-988D-AD837B77FA42.jpeg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Had my first two male Baltimore Orioles yesterday shortly after I put an orange out. Not long after, I saw a male Scarlet Tanager in my yard, which is a first! In the evening, a Great Horned Owl glided over and landed in a neighbor's tree. Didn't get any photos of any of that, but here's another Grosbeak and European Goldfinch.

IMG_5694 copy.jpg

IMG_5670 copy.jpg

Ask a Question