Advertisements

Reaction score
Starling

We have up to 5 pair of wood ducks in our pond. This year
the first pair returned on the 24th of March, 2 days later
than a year earlier. They flew around the pond a couple of
times being very vocal with one another. They were as happy to
be back as we were to see them. We even put in 2 wood duck nesting
boxes in a swamp adjacent to the pond. We just filled them with about 5 to 6 inches of cedar chips now
that they are back. It will be another month before they lay eggs, but we wanted to have the boxes ready so
they can check them out. Hopefully they will use them.

I love this shot of them swimming through the aerator/bubbler

Recent turkey pics

Merganser

Some short vids of pond wildlife
I shot this shortly after the wood ducks return on the March 24th .

My wife laid on the floor to shoot this of these toms with her cell phone. They had been gobbling
and attacking their reflection in the sliding door. Hilarious

Pileated Woodpecker

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I never seem to have a camera handy when I see the best pictures. The red tailed hawk flies off when she sees us, but she competes with the cats for mice.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
This American Robin was trying to figure out how to get a drink from the pond. They can't quite reach the water, and I was sitting over by the bog, so it didn't know what to do.
IMG_8778 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
The one pic I have of our cardinal male that likes dog food. He’s good, been getting past the cats to raid the dog dish for years. His wife joins in, and now his ?son? Does too. A younger male anyway. I put out bird seed when we had snow, they prefer the dog food.

Attachments

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Mine like to steal the squirrels peanuts, even the ones in the shells.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
A new friend! Found this girl in our driveway, headed from the river to ??? Luckily I found her before the dogs did, and I put her in my aquarium till I can take her somewhere safe. My dogs like to munch turtles, so my yards not safe for them. A nice big female red eared slider! If my pond was done and the dogs fence up, I’d just put her in my pond, but.... guys are working on fixing the well house first, found the roof had a rotten spot falling in. Sigh, I may end up digging my pond myself! Lord knows, coming up with the $ for an excavator is beyond me right now, till I get caught up on medical bills and such. I’m sorely tempted to put the fish back in the pool again, till I get things done, but then I’d have to worry about crop spray, and that was no fun. But it might be what I do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I took her about 1/4 mile away near a pond on my way to work and let her go there. She was eager to be gone! But she stands a better chance there than near my hounds! They think the moving rocks are tasty. But here’s a pic that has a bit of scale to show just how big she was.

Attachments

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
How neat you saved it from the munch hounds!

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I have not seen the Woodchuck at all, it has been here for a few years but no sign of them.
Wish mine would go away, inhaling all of my day lilies. doubt they will survive the munch down.

Ask a Question