Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We really enjoy the spotted towhees, finding them to be a nice bright spot with interesting habits. To find seeds and other stuff on the ground, with leaves, misc. ground cover or snow, they stand in place and kick back with both feet at the same time, moving a lot of material! It's a little puzzling to me, how they kick back violently with both feet, jump somewhat, come down in the same place and do it again... fast!

They do tend to have an intense look! It almost looks like he has a cigar in his mouth and is talking around it. "Listen sonny... this is my territory, now scram!".
8285 spotted towhee in the snow.jpg

8287 spotted towhee.jpg

There are 2 pair that tend to hang around here a good part of the year and we're hoping to see them again fairly soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This guy came in late August and left a couple weeks later. I believe he is a Western Pond Turtle. While here, "Ted" did a fine job eating algae. The pond was very clear when he left.

Attachments

• IMG_20180831_152451.jpg
    IMG_20180831_152451.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 131
  • MVIMG_20180910_124808.jpg
    MVIMG_20180910_124808.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 121
  • MVIMG_20180913_121900.jpg
    MVIMG_20180913_121900.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 120
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This gourd is right behind my BBQ grill on the deck. He likes to watch me cook. I wonder if he felt like he might get a plate? LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Blue jays are sure attractive birds, nicely captured! We don't see them out here. I'm a real fan of all the corvids (ravens, crows, magpies, jays).

Here in central Oregon, around our yard, we have Steller's jays, western scrub jays, black billed magpies and ravens. Oddly, there are no crows in this area! Scrub jays are by far our most common visitors, there's a group that must have a lookout watching our yard, as they are almost always there very shortly after I fill the feeders. We refer to them as "The Blues Brothers". I like them better than the Steller's jays, they seem less aggressive to other birds around the yard and aren't as vocal, not that they are quiet, just not as non-musical.

8631 scrub jay in winter sun.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love Blue jays, but I dislike that they go after the babies in the birdhouses of other birds, I find dead newly hatched babies everywhere and I get it it's Nature's way but I still don't like it!

Anyone knows what kind of turtle this big fella is?

turtle on driveway.jpg

Ask a Question