PRE-FILTERS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, so far I've learned 125% more than I knew before, which just proves that reading articles alone is nothing more than the "information-gathering" stage!

So it looks like what I'm talking about is, 1) a way to keep the big stuff from messing with the pump (what i was calling the "prefilter"), but 2) mostly a way to keep the big stuff AND turtle poop from contaminating the biofilter. Didn't realize these were different issues so glad I brought it up at this stage of my planning.

A few bits of info:
1 -- don't know what kind of pump I'll be using -- haven't gotten that far yet, so will be asking for info about those in a future post
2 -- haven't decided on a filtration system yet, either, but will be one of the ones mentioned on this forum
3 -- haven't decided about fish. Would like to have some as I feel they would help in the overall health of my system, but that's going to depend on my eventual pond design (shape). See, I've got to come up with a creative, practical, yet attractive(!) way to have a single pond that can be separated to accomodate 2 sets of critters that have to be kept apart: my turtles are siblings so don't want them getting together to try to make babies (not to mention that I just don't want any more turtles, period). Since I'll have a false bottom for the turts, there will have to be a way for fish to come & go and have access to the entire pond. I'm still trying to figure out how to separate the pond with one side for the girls & one side for the boys.....
4 -- you know, I have gone to sites dealing with aquatics turtles, but I don't remember now WHY I ended up sticking with you guys... I'll revisit the aquatics places again -- maybe I was missing some points....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
,,, and, yes, I plan to have plants, though haven't seen that question come up yet.

Sorry for the 3 separate comments here -- I'm not on the main computer, so still having issues with navigatin on "tablets" & iPhones. Wouldn't it be nice if all our problems were that simple? :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
skimmer catches leaves and floating stuff and usually is at the other end of the pond from the waterfall and is made of plastic and has a ctach basket you can just pull out and clean off .The one thing I did not think of was your water and how it effects turtles as city water has chemicals in it .I know fish can't take city water but turtles I don't know .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sissy, I'v only used city water, but have never had a problem. But then, my turts don't live in their water like aquatics do. When I've kept an aquarium I either used bottled water or added chemicals.

Is the skimmer a part of the pump/filtration system, or is it an independent item?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The skimmer is at the other end of the pond and the liner is attached to it and not to sure how the setup is because I don't have one .The water fall and filter are at the other end of the pond .The skimmer is supposed to pick up all the other stuff that floats on the pond .I have only ever seen one turtle pond and that was a large kiddy swimming pool the guy put a bottom drain in to clean it He used to drain the pond while sweeping the dirt towards the drain and he used a sump pump .I'm not sure he still has the turtle pond anymore .I have not seen him and his wife since they retired and started traveling

Reaction score
Sissy, I'v only used city water, but have never had a problem. But then, my turts don't live in their water like aquatics do. When I've kept an aquarium I either used bottled water or added chemicals.

Is the skimmer a part of the pump/filtration system, or is it an independent item?

Mmathis,

I doubt that the additives and treatments in city water would ever harm your turtles as they don't respirate through the water like fish. Besides, as you say, they are not in the water constantly. The only detriment that I could imagine would be that chemicals like chlorine or chloramine could kill some beneficial bacteria that may live on the skin and shell of the turtle.

It is possible that killing off such symbiotic bacteria could leave the turtles open to unwanted parasites and skin diseases. I personally doubt it unless the water has been so saturated with chemicals that it is almost intolerable. The chemicals gas out over time and are absorbed by the environment and thus are reduced.

As a kid, I kept all sorts of fish, newts and salamanders and turtles and I always used city water. Never had any troubles. However, certain species of fish and exotic marine life are hyper sensitive to such chemicals. For a really extreme example, corals.

If you incorporate a bio-converter, then chemical treatments in city water may really hamper your bacteria culture or even kill it off completely. But, there are ways to remedy this. Chemical treatments and special considerations to the water handling. If you have no fish to worry about, I would not fret a great deal about setting up a bio-converter. Your water quality doesn't have to be pristine, just for the turtles alone. You just don't want a messy, stinky turtle pond.

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gordy (and Sissy) -- gee, thanks! I wan't even thinking far enough ahead to worry about what water to use! LOL!

So if i did decide to add a few fish, what do I do and how do I know if I have a viable bacterial culture (other than waiting to see if the fish survive)? I could be going along assuming my system was healthy, but instead I could be killing off my "filter?"

Anyway, overall turtle health is a reason to go with a pond set-up where hopefully the water quality will be more consistent.

Right now, for my 24" "plant saucer" water dish, I have a dripper attached to the faucet that continuously drips into the reservoir to keep it from going dry (same for my birth bath). Since it's only about an inch or so deep to begin with, it can dry out out pretty fast not to mention getting too hot in the summer sun. Everyone says my turtles are so spoiled! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the only way you might have an idea if your system is working is a test kit but gosh there again these are turtles so not sure if the test is the same .If you go onto you tube I noticed there was a lot of info on turtle ponds there building and maintaining that may help .They have indoor outdoor and how to keep them clean and things you can build them with and water quality

Reaction score
Gordy (and Sissy) -- gee, thanks! I wan't even thinking far enough ahead to worry about what water to use! LOL!

So if i did decide to add a few fish, what do I do and how do I know if I have a viable bacterial culture (other than waiting to see if the fish survive)? I could be going along assuming my system was healthy, but instead I could be killing off my "filter?"

Anyway, overall turtle health is a reason to go with a pond set-up where hopefully the water quality will be more consistent.

Right now, for my 24" "plant saucer" water dish, I have a dripper attached to the faucet that continuously drips into the reservoir to keep it from going dry (same for my birth bath). Since it's only about an inch or so deep to begin with, it can dry out out pretty fast not to mention getting too hot in the summer sun. Everyone says my turtles are so spoiled! :)

Mmathis,

The bacteria culture, it you set up a bio-converter, will develope on their own, as the system requires. You can use a "skippy" style filter or a "Doc" filter or you can try something like what I am dabbling with (which is a Kaldnes rolling media filter system) or one of the gravity drip filter systems. There are many bio-converter designs to pick from. I just decided to try my hand at the rolling media filter system.

The principle behind each system is identical, but the design, operation and maintenance is unique to each.

You will have to research each type and decide which one you think you like the best. I won't recommend one over the other. It is more of a personal choice. Research each one of them and then, toss a coin, I guess. Or use the SWAG method for determining which is best for you.

SWAG: Scientific Wild Ass Guess LOL! Hope that isn't too harsh of language for this forum.

I think that you probably just need one of the "DOC" or "SKIPPY" filter styles with a settling tank ahead of it. But, you can research even the kaldnes rolling media filter that I am going to use if you like.

I adopted that system because it requires a lot of water circulation. I intend to keep my fish tank operating all year and winters here can be harsh, so I cannot allow it to freeze. With the moving water, it won't freeze as easily. The bacteria cultures in my system may go dormant or even die over winter, but they will regenerate in spring as needed, just like they would in nature, I hope.

I guess the point is that there is no one right way to go here. You can pick and choose what you like best. Try to pick the one with the least amount of maintenance but with the best advantages for the benefit of the residents of your pond.

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, so my lack of knowledge for "pre-filters" has been filled in with as much info as I need to know for the time being -- time to move on to my next topic: can't decide if I want to discuss pumps or filters next..... Hmmmmmm.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pumps depends on how much you want to spend and how many gph you want so include that and also remember if they offer an extended warranty grab it,but that depends on the cost and ease of access to get the pump replaced . I have seen some of the bigger high priced pumps you have to get them to cover it .Northern tool has low priced and so does harbor freight .Filter build it yourself go to the diy section or check out you tube they have tons of home made filters with step by step instructions

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
discuss both! lol we will answer if we can

Ask a Question