Predators

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a, 6b
Country
United States
I definitely have a predator. Fish are disappearing like crazy and it’s always the expensive ones. I’ve always had goldfish, they seem adept at dodging whatever it is that’s after them, but anything light in color disappears. I’ve seen raccoon tracks on my deck near the pond, but nothing ever appears disturbed in or around the pond itself. I saw a grey herring pass by the other day, but that’s not unusual. Fish seem way more spooked than usual. Anyway, I’m certain is coons or a bird, my question is, has anyone had success in preventing this? I have adequate cover as far as lily pads and several built in caves for hiding. Kind of at a loss. I can’t keep stocking my pond which basically leads to feeding a predator filet mignon. Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
I definitely have a predator. Fish are disappearing like crazy and it’s always the expensive ones. I’ve always had goldfish, they seem adept at dodging whatever it is that’s after them, but anything light in color disappears. I’ve seen raccoon tracks on my deck near the pond, but nothing ever appears disturbed in or around the pond itself. I saw a grey herring pass by the other day, but that’s not unusual. Fish seem way more spooked than usual. Anyway, I’m certain is coons or a bird, my question is, has anyone had success in preventing this? I have adequate cover as far as lily pads and several built in caves for hiding. Kind of at a loss. I can’t keep stocking my pond which basically leads to feeding a predator filet mignon. Thanks for reading.

I had a few fish disappear a few weeks ago. It was snakes. Not just one, but several. I killed three in one weekend. Haven't seen anymore since, and no more missing fish.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Putting a net over your pond will solve the problem. If its a bird, its best to put the net 1 1/2-2 feet above the water to keep the heron from stabbing your fish. A raccoon usually makes a mess of a pond but netting will help with them as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree about a raised, taut net...it'll help with birds & raccoons. Snakes are definitely another consideration. Do you have mink in your area.....they are lethal :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a, 6b
Country
United States
I've never seen a snake in my yard, but that not mean they aren't there. I just ordered a motion activated security camera, we'll see what happens. Raccoons are my prime suspect, although like others have mentioned they leave a mess, which isn't the case. I'll keep you all posted and thank you for your input.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a ton of raccoons, they hang around all of the time. But I have never seen evidence that they have gotten into the pond or messed with any of the fish.

Reaction score
You seeing any bits of fish laying around. Land predators leave evidence most of the time....scales... bones... etc... since they are eating the fish on the spot? vs a bird will just take it away and down it whole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Is there a river or lake nearby? A mammal predator leaves fish parts behind. Raccoons aren’t that proficient a koi catching without the mess. River otters will kill everyone just for fun. Is the loss always at night? The snake theory makes sense. The camera will tell the tale for mammals and birds. Not sure with snakes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Snakes do eat fish. I watched a garter snake eat a frog. We have snakes only once have I seen one in the pond. A small garter.

Ask a Question