Predators,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone, it's been awhile since my last post, but question for everyone, yesterday was 4th of july, and it was seems like I lose a fish or 2 right after the fireworks, but this morning I went outside and my pond was a mess and 1 of my fish was half mutilated on the side of the pond, I have never had any problems like this before, the inside of pond I have 2 smaller houses for the smaller fish and a large slab of a marble like material on top of 4 bricks so they can all fit in the one house and all the houses were either moved or upside down. I also had a water lily potted that was at the very bottom of the pond on its side and my 1 pump was moved to the bottom also. Any suggestions? We really don't have raccoons in the area here and I haven't seen a opossum in a few years. I also wondered if I should leave my outside lights on in the back yard? Will that deter any critter?? I'm at a loss. Even the big slab was half off of the bricks that supports their house. Thanks for your help in any way.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, whatever it was meant business, that’s for sure! How deep is your pond? You don’t have bears, do you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No I live in a suburb just outside of Chicago. My pond is about 1000 gallons it's about 3 ft. On half and maybe 4 or 5 ft on the other half.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Might have to set up a trail cam...

Like Mmathis asked...how deep is your pond? Raccoons usually stick to the shallows to feel around until they find something to grab. But with so many heavy items moved like that I'd guess a really big raccoon if the pond isn't very deep; or an otter or bear.

I don't think lights will deter anything, whatever it is.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No I live in a suburb just outside of Chicago. My pond is about 1000 gallons it's about 3 ft. On half and maybe 4 or 5 ft on the other half.
Just curious, but what are the dimensions of your pond? Just trying to picture what 1000 gallons would look like with a depth of 5’.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to here your lose .Get an outside camera so you can catch the critter on video .They are so cheap now on ebay or amazon that every one can afford one .I have cameras on my property and on my pond ,it was worth the investment

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about what happen, I would've guessed a raccoon even though I doubt it would've moved the pot at the bottom of the pond, and move a heavy slab, but you said you don't have them so I'm not sure...I'd follow others advise and install a camera
Please let us know if you ever find out what predator is responsible

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Whoa - a suburb outside of Chicago with no raccoons? Not possible. You may not see them, but I guarantee you they are ALL around you. I think there are more raccoons living in suburban areas anymore than there are in the country. They are well adapted to city living. You had a raccoon rampage - no question about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is my pond it's probably more like 4 ft on 1 side I'm not really sure. I'm not good at judging just know when I have to reach in to fix stuff it was really hard to reach it!

Attachments

• 15308895109218428311365890387725.jpg
    15308895109218428311365890387725.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 268

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A tailless racoon visited my pond the other night and made a mess of things and I have a short wire fence and a net over my pond. I found where he got in tho. There was one spot where I assume he squeezed in through. He dumped my new plant down into the bottom of the pond and bent over some of the Mare's tail plants. All fixed now and had to tighten up the net/fence and make it more racoon proof yesterday. I see no evidence this morning on anymore destruction. I just wonder if it will try to rip through the net?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Tailless racoon or ground hog j.w.? We had groundhogs destroy the bog last year.

Oh yes it's a racoon. We don't have ground hogs around here and this guy is a masked big fella and looks very strange w/o his tail. Our neighbors have seen him in their yard also. He walked right in front of our back slider very slowly a few wks ago too. He was digging for bugs or whatever in our back yard. Hope he continues to do that and leaves my pond alone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I VOTE For a fisher cat they are way more destructive then a raccoon. a blue heron swallows its fish it doesn't mutilate them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I doubt it's 4 feet deep either @cinder - that would be a deep for a pond that size. You would have a hard time reaching anything with your arm that was any more than 24 inches deep, so that's not a great way to judge.

Ask a Question