Predators,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No I haven't had any more issues! Thank goodness!! I fixed everything and so far so good! Not sure what it was, and that has been the only time that I have had that sort of problem, I'll let you know if I have any more issues. Thanks for everything.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my pond it's probably more like 4 ft on 1 side I'm not really sure. I'm not good at judging just know when I have to reach in to fix stuff it was really hard to reach it!
Can’t you poke a tape measure in the water? Or a broomstick, then measure where the water level is?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Speaking of predators, does anyone know how long it takes for a great blue heron to move on from a pond? We've had one bothering us for a little over a week. I caught it in the pond, dining vigorously, and scared it off. It came back later that day, and I scared it off again before it got any more fish. I then set up a scarecrow water sprayer. It's flown over a few times, but it hasn't stopped again that I know of. The most recent confirmed sighting was two days ago in a low overflight. I'm hoping the scarecrow annoys it too much and it loses interest and moves on. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

When I caught it, I don't know how many little ones it got (I don't know how many I had to start with), but it got all my orfes, which were comfortably longer than a foot long each, so it got some good eating in. But it didn't get any of the koi (I have three), which are each approaching two feet. Not counting the 2 or 3 dozen smaller fish, the koi alone would seem like a draw for it to keep coming back after its last good meal. Only half joking: if I inflicted serious pain, say by thwacking it with a big stick or something, would that act as a permanent deterrent? This bird is almost five feet tall, no joke. It's ginormous. I want it gone.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Spartamets.....The scarecrow works, but it will probably come back to test it a few times and even then it may not work permanently.They are very smart at avoiding and getting around deterrents to get at fish. Putting a net over the pond is really the only way to permanently keep them out.

Haha you would have to get close enough for the big stick to work, doubt it will let that happen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've read that herons basically have built in GPS - once they "drop a pin" on your pond, you are on their radar forever. They may not come every day, but they will remember where you are.

Having said that - we had a heron land in our yard in early spring. My husband discovered him standing in the pond on the shelf, just looking into the pond. He (she?) took off on his own accord and has not been back. I was surprised he even landed in our yard, as we are pretty enclosed with trees and fences, but it was early spring and maybe he was feeling bold. To our knowledge, he has not been back. Herons fly over our house many times a day as we are situated between a number of natural ponds. Hopefully they prefer the "wild caught" fish!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, I meant to add - I wouldn't be whacking on any herons as they are a member of a protected class of migratory birds. You can get in big trouble if you injure or kill one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
How
Speaking of predators, does anyone know how long it takes for a great blue heron to move on from a pond? We've had one bothering us for a little over a week. I caught it in the pond, dining vigorously, and scared it off. It came back later that day, and I scared it off again before it got any more fish. I then set up a scarecrow water sprayer. It's flown over a few times, but it hasn't stopped again that I know of. The most recent confirmed sighting was two days ago in a low overflight. I'm hoping the scarecrow annoys it too much and it loses interest and moves on. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

When I caught it, I don't know how many little ones it got (I don't know how many I had to start with), but it got all my orfes, which were comfortably longer than a foot long each, so it got some good eating in. But it didn't get any of the koi (I have three), which are each approaching two feet. Not counting the 2 or 3 dozen smaller fish, the koi alone would seem like a draw for it to keep coming back after its last good meal. Only half joking: if I inflicted serious pain, say by thwacking it with a big stick or something, would that act as a permanent deterrent? This bird is almost five feet tall, no joke. It's ginormous. I want it gone.

How big is your pond Spartamets? I've used this to great effect: https://www.swelluk.com/velda-pond-protector - Basically it zaps herons. Works with kids too :p

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found the only thing that worked for me was a net! If I used a zapper thingy I know I would be the one getting zapped :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you all for your tips. The scarecrow seems to be working still. I have it pointed from a spot a little up the stream towards the pond. Across the stream from it are a couple of decorations. One is a building from a railroad set that was knocked on its side this morning. This suggests to me that the heron was walking down the stream to the pond, got jetted, and took off, knocking over the building.

I just hope the scarecrow keeps working and the heron gives up eventually. the neighbors have been talking lately about a pterodactyl flying around our neighborhood. They like it a lot more than I do. I want to trim the water hyacinths which are taking over the pond, but they give the fish cover, so I'm letting them be. As a result, I don't know for sure that the heron hasn't gotten more fish--I don't think so--as the fish are way skittish now and stay under that cover (except for one koi, who has been quite nonplussed by everything). I am SO not fond of herons.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The only problem I see w/the scarecrow is when freezing temps arrive you can't use it or the thing will bust apart. Maybe if the heron still visit off and on during the winter you could have a back up plan like a net you could throw over till Spring arrives?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I net the pond in the Fall to catch the leaves and leave it that way all winter, so fortunately that part should be OK. I can't really use a net during the growing season, as I have several plants that rise feet above the water surface. A raised, draped kind of net is totally unappealing to me. Living in a city, I would not have expected this problem. Better than rats, I suppose. Anything is better than rats.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
does anyone know how long it takes for a great blue heron to move on from a pond?
Three year fight, daily if not twice daily visits, fishing line over the pond, it flew through it, fencing, jumped over, alligator heads, learned they were fake started ignoring. I studied hours of tapes watching the bird trying figure out how to stop it. They are beautiful love seeing them but not fishing in the back yard.

I finally bought a wide weave net, holes around 4-5 inches, fishing gill net. Hung around 3 feet over the surface of the pond. They came by a few times and gave up. They fly over our house every day. East in the morning, west in the evening. I have watched them pause and look down, but no landings.

So good luck!

And the heron has visited in the snow, so winter does not give you a break.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
If you find something that works let me know. I noticed the other day that one of my plants was floating in the pond. I grabbed it and went to put it back on the ledge where it was and saw one of the big rocks along the ledge was now on the bottom of the pond. I got to looking around and noticed 3 more rocks around the ledge were now on the bottom. A day later I noticed my puppy chewing on something. I took it out of her mouth and saw it was half a dried fish. I'm pretty sure it is a racoon. My brother is brining his trail cam over so I can see what's going on at night.

Ask a Question