Pump / Bog Plumbing Questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd be afraid to thin/ stretch one wall to much, have the smallest of rock against it and have it blow, where it's buried and have to start digging to find the leak. I have seen hard pipe have much the same issue fail. cant say i have seen flex fail we don't use it very often on anything but a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It will be similar sized to yours. I actually saw your bog build and I am planning something very similar. Was there a reason you went 1-1/2 flex pvc from the pump to the 2"pvc? My pump output is only 1-1/2" and I was most likely going to 2" right off the pump with a fitting.

Looks like your clean outs have threaded plugs or caps? Is threaded needed for the pressure in the system? What type of hose do you connect to the clean out if you need to flush the lines? Seems like it would need to be 2" or close to work?
I wanted to increase the 1-1/2" from the pump to 2" within the bog. I figured the larger size within the bog would reduce the chance for buildup of debris. This was probably not necessary, but figured once it's buried in gravel, it's under there for good.

Yes, the clean-outs have threaded caps.

I use a scrap piece of 1-1/2" flex pvc to flush with. I just shove it down inside the 2" clean-out pipe and shoot the black water into a flower bed. You could improve on it by adding a threaded fitting to the hose and screw it onto the clean-out. Or better yet, plumb a permanent outlet from the clean-out stack out of the bog. Add a valve for when you want to flush. I would add a screw cap on the end, just in case.

I use black 1-1/2" flex PVC from the pump to the bog. It runs on the floor of the pond and is barely noticeable since it's now covered with natural growth.
I bought the 1-1/2" flex PVC on Amazon. It was $50 for 25 feet. Well worth it since it will probably last forever.

All my plumbing is within the pond and bog. If there's ever a leak, it cannot escape the system.

I don't know about that Harbor Freight item mentioned. I'd be a little skeptical. It may truly be made of PVC, but is it compatible with all the fittings and more importantly how thick are it's walls? Flex pvc should be totally compatible with standard pvc including all fittings, primer and glue. It has a very thick wall and the outside diameter is the same as ridgid pvc pipe.
For example, I have an air compressor hose that's PVC, but it's nothing like the flex PVC I mentioned. It's walls are thin.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wanted to increase the 1-1/2" from the pump to 2" within the bog. I figured the larger size within the bog would reduce the chance for buildup of debris. This was probably not necessary, but figured once it's buried in gravel, it's under there for good.

Yes, the clean-outs have threaded caps.

I use a scrap piece of 1-1/2" flex pvc to flush with. I just shove it down inside the 2" clean-out pipe and shoot the black water into a flower bed. You could improve on it by adding a threaded fitting to the hose and screw it onto the clean-out. Or better yet, plumb a permanent outlet from the clean-out stack out of the bog. Add a valve for when you want to flush. I would add a screw cap on the end, just in case.

I use black 1-1/2" flex PVC from the pump to the bog. It runs on the floor of the pond and is barely noticeable since it's now covered with natural growth.
I bought the 1-1/2" flex PVC on Amazon. It was $50 for 25 feet. Well worth it since it will probably last forever.

All my plumbing is within the pond and bog. If there's ever a leak, it cannot escape the system.

I don't know about that Harbor Freight item mentioned. I'd be a little skeptical. It may truly be made of PVC, but is it compatible with all the fittings and more importantly how thick are it's walls? Flex pvc should be totally compatible with standard pvc including all fittings, primer and glue. It has a very thick wall and the outside diameter is the same as ridgid pvc pipe.
For example, I have an air compressor hose that's PVC, but it's nothing like the flex PVC I mentioned. It's walls are thin.
Thanks for the feedback. All good points! I havent bought the Harbor Freight pipe yet and yes I need it to be compatible with the fittings, so something to take into consideration. 2" black flex PVC is going for around $90 on Amazon currently, little more than i was expecting but by no means a deal breaker.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback. All good points! I havent bought the Harbor Freight pipe yet and yes I need it to be compatible with the fittings, so something to take into consideration. 2" black flex PVC is going for around $90 on Amazon currently, little more than i was expecting but by no means a deal breaker.

You probably won't be able to check the fittings in store because it looks like the HF hose has integrated cam lock fittings. Did you see the link I posted earlier to Home Depot? I think they sell a 25' roll for about the same per foot price you're getting at HF. I'd go that route, personally.

And a quick word to the wise that I learned the hard way: only use pressure rated fittings outside the pond w/ flex pvc. That means hard 90º fittings and 45s and what not as they have the deep sockets for gluing. General pond wisdom is to use long-sweep fittings, but those are mostly designed for drain/waste applications, and they have shallow sockets. Flex PVC outside diameter is, in my experience, a little smaller than hard pipe, and you just can't get a good glue joint with the shallow sockets. Doesn't mater much inside the pond, but take note if using fittings outside of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You probably won't be able to check the fittings in store because it looks like the HF hose has integrated cam lock fittings. Did you see the link I posted earlier to Home Depot? I think they sell a 25' roll for about the same per foot price you're getting at HF. I'd go that route, personally.

And a quick word to the wise that I learned the hard way: only use pressure rated fittings outside the pond w/ flex pvc. That means hard 90º fittings and 45s and what not as they have the deep sockets for gluing. General pond wisdom is to use long-sweep fittings, but those are mostly designed for drain/waste applications, and they have shallow sockets. Flex PVC outside diameter is, in my experience, a little smaller than hard pipe, and you just can't get a good glue joint with the shallow sockets. Doesn't mater much inside the pond, but take note if using fittings outside of it.
Some very interesting and very important points!
I like the idea of not using the shallow socket fittings. More surface area for the glue. Makes perfect sense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also using Heavy Duty glue can help tremendously . though they say it is too strong and can burn the pipe i have never found that to be the issue
sweeps are a must they save so much back pressure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also using Heavy Duty glue can help tremendously . though they say it is too strong and can burn the pipe i have never found that to be the issue
sweeps are a must they save so much back pressure

It's not that bad as long as you don't use a bunch of them. A 2" long sweep 90 adds the equivalent of 5.7' of pipe and a standard 90 adds 8.6'. At 4,000 gph, 10' of pipe = 1' of head pressure. So, probably the real lesson is to try to not use any fittings at all!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

I did see your link to 100', I didnt see anything for 25' though that was less than $100. I was looking at PVC fittings last weekend, it seemed there was not a lot available. I did wander over to the drain section as there was more options but I will stay away. I would rather buy a bigger pump to account for headloss due having to use a 90 than have a leak underground due to the wrong fitting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's not that bad as long as you don't use a bunch of them. A 2" long sweep 90 adds the equivalent of 5.7' of pipe and a standard 90 adds 8.6'. At 4,000 gph, 10' of pipe = 1' of head pressure. So, probably the real lesson is to try to not use any fittings at all!
Totally understood but i'm surprised you're not all for the maximum efficiency possible. when you add and elbow to go from horizontal to vertical and then vertical to horizontal again and you need to do the same on the other end you looking at 12' of head. Doing a little rough guestimate i'd think that's close about 2 gallons of water or 16 pounds if not more. add up the power needed to move that over the course of a year, three or five years for not going with street fittings makes no sense.

The only fittings i have on anything are streets 90's ... 45 or ever 22.5. once away from the pump area and the tight fit in the garage there's barely a fitting other then splitters. Like you said that's where the flew pipe comes in to it's advantage and no fittings at all except to start and terminate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would prefer pvc and union but my pump doesnt have a threaded connection just the above barbed connection. I dont think I have any other options but a fernco if I want to use pvc, right?
If you have barbed fittings you can add a little glue IF you like slip on the flex and install a hose clamp or TWO

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked up 3" flex from the depot and like most everything I have got there it's just a tad short of what I have gotten. Much better than kink free but none the less

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also just ordered a liner 35 x40 from justliners it arived in 2 days but shipping company put the roll on a pallet with staples that were sticking out everywhere and there was a small tear so I rejected it. Spoke to just liners this morning a replacement will be on the road in the morning.
THEY STAND BY THE PRODUCT AND THEIR WORD.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did see your link to 100', I didnt see anything for 25' though that was less than $100. I was looking at PVC fittings last weekend, it seemed there was not a lot available. I did wander over to the drain section as there was more options but I will stay away. I would rather buy a bigger pump to account for headloss due having to use a 90 than have a leak underground due to the wrong fitting.
your head isn't going to be anything worth worrying about you have a short run and very little lift / in height. most pumps do better when there is a little back pressure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also just ordered a liner 35 x40 from justliners it arrived in 2 days but shipping company put the roll on a pallet with staples that were sticking out everywhere and there was a small tear so I rejected it. Spoke to just liners this morning a replacement will be on the road in the morning.
THEY STAND BY THE PRODUCT AND THEIR WORD.
Replacement size was unavailable and they cut what i needed from a larger size. And i had it in two days again. you cant beat that.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since we are talking about flex pvc on this thread I am looking at this for my spillway bowl. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Alpine-Corporation-1-1-2-in-PVC-Hose-Black-x-25-FT/1003243052

The plan would be to T it off the 2" flex pvc that runs to the bog with a reducer T and add a few valves to adjust flow to both the bog and spillway bowl. I am planning on burying the 1-1/2" flex pvc. Will what I posted in the link work? It doesnt appear to be schedule 40 flex pvc but seems pretty durable and is compatible with PVC glue and standard fittings.

Ask a Question