Pump / Bog Plumbing Questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since we are talking about flex pvc on this thread I am looking at this for my spillway bowl. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Alpine-Corporation-1-1-2-in-PVC-Hose-Black-x-25-FT/1003243052

The plan would be to T it off the 2" flex pvc that runs to the bog with a reducer T and add a few valves to adjust flow to both the bog and spillway bowl. I am planning on
I just bought some myself from the depot its a little lighter then what i ususly get but looks ok . But yes that is flex pvc from what i see its kink free that is junk. And 2 inch is good for 4000 gph a little beterr under pressure and 1 1/2" for spill bowl sound more then ample
burying the 1-1/2" flex pvc. Will what I posted in the link work? It doesnt appear to be schedule 40 flex pvc but seems pretty durable and is compatible with PVC glue and standard fittings.
1 1/2 will give you a good flow I would be sure to add a union of some sort be it a Fernwood or pvc union and a ball valve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just bought some myself from the depot its a little lighter then what i usually get but looks ok . But yes that is flex pvc from what i see............................ its NOT THE kink free that is junk................. And 2 inch is good for 4000 gph a little better IF under pressure and 1 1/2" for THE spill bowl soundS more then ample
SORRY I WAS AT WORK WITH A THOUSAND DISTRACTIONS

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just bought some myself from the depot its a little lighter then what i ususly get but looks ok . But yes that is flex pvc from what i see its kink free that is junk. And 2 inch is good for 4000 gph a little beterr under pressure and 1 1/2" for spill bowl sound more then ample

1 1/2 will give you a good flow I would be sure to add a union of some sort be it a Fernwood or pvc union and a ball valve
SORRY I WAS AT WORK WITH A THOUSAND DISTRACTIONS
No worries @GBBUDD ! The max the spillway bowl will allow is 1-1/2" so figured I would go with the max.

I put together a quick diagram of what i am thinking. The 2" pvc will run from the pump vault directly to the bog with a union in the pump vault and a siphon break in the bog right above the surface. I am then thinking I will add a T before the 2" enters the bog for with a reducer to connect the 1-1/2. I would then add valves where I have the red dots in the picture. i could even get one of those valve boxes they use for sprinkler systems to hide everything. This plan is open for change but its how I see it currently.
PVC diag.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As you enter the bog have that go down to the diffuser piping and if your doing so have the clean out by the spill bowl your head will be nothing to even think about

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since we are talking about flex pvc on this thread I am looking at this for my spillway bowl. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Alpine-Corporation-1-1-2-in-PVC-Hose-Black-x-25-FT/1003243052

The plan would be to T it off the 2" flex pvc that runs to the bog with a reducer T and add a few valves to adjust flow to both the bog and spillway bowl. I am planning on burying the 1-1/2" flex pvc. Will what I posted in the link work? It doesnt appear to be schedule 40 flex pvc but seems pretty durable and is compatible with PVC glue and standard fittings.

This is exactly the stuff I used. Have a few hundred feet of it installed. My thoughts:

Generally good stuff. Very flexible, which is nice. OD seems a hair shy of rigid schedule 40. Makes getting really solid glue joints a bit tough. Use the heaviest body glue you can and only use pressure-rated fittings with the deep sockets. I did a few test joints with shallow socket abs fittings and green transition glue. DOESN’T WORK.

Load your joints up with glue, and don’t twist to spread glue like you would w/ rigid pipe. Hold each joint for a good minute or two, especially if the fitting is near a bend.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is exactly the stuff I used. Have a few hundred feet of it installed. My thoughts:

Generally good stuff. Very flexible, which is nice. OD seems a hair shy of rigid schedule 40. Makes getting really solid glue joints a bit tough. Use the heaviest body glue you can and only use pressure-rated fittings with the deep sockets. I did a few test joints with shallow socket abs fittings and green transition glue. DOESN’T WORK.

Load your joints up with glue, and don’t twist to spread glue like you would w/ rigid pipe. Hold each joint for a good minute or two, especially if the fitting is near a bend.
I only need 25ft so maybe I will just go with the schedule 40 flex pvc, rather than have to worry about the connections. The only fittings I will use with it are a tee, ball valve, check valve and 90 elbow up to the bowl, so maybe its not an issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are very similar in that regard one is just a little more heavy duty. glue is the same do not try to glue while pipe is bent glue let fully dry then bend

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They are very similar in that regard one is just a little more heavy duty. glue is the same do not try to glue while pipe is bent glue let fully dry then bend
I just looked at pricing and this stuff currently is about half the price of 25ft of schedule 40 flex, so I may just go with it. I'll just glue it well and let it dry fully. Starting to wonder if 1-1/2 is overkill for a spillway bowl. I can always dial it back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look at a garden hose thats 5/8" to 1" flatten the flow out . 5/8 is probably plenty but if they have a 1/12 your talking you need what 15 feet its not going to cost that much more

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Look at a garden hose thats 5/8" to 1" flatten the flow out . 5/8 is probably plenty but if they have a 1/12 your talking you need what 15 feet its not going to cost that much more
I probably need at least 25' to br safe of the 1-1/2 to the bowl. I am fine with the Lowes stuff for around $50. i cant seem to find a section of 2" x 10 ft (pump vault to bog) anywhere. I can get white at my local hardware store by the foot, not super cheap but better than anything else i can find online. Could I just get white and paint it where it comes over the bog wall? The rest of it will be buried.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could I just get white and paint it where it comes over the bog wall?

Probably. Might have to re-paint once in awhile, but don't see why not. I know I'm spending your money, but I'd probably buy the 25' roll of 2" and believe that I can find a use for it. Add a circulation jet!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any pvc left out to the elements SHOULD BE PAINTED UV IS IT'S ENEMY just ask @addy1 what pvc pipe looks like in arizona in a year if not painted.

i would use spray paint

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any pvc left out to the elements SHOULD BE PAINTED UV IS IT'S ENEMY just ask @addy1 what pvc pipe looks like in arizona in a year if not painted.

i would use spray paint
A pretty burnt brown yellow and brittle

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@combatwombat @GBBUDD After building my bog realized I actually need more like 30ft to get to the bowl. Lowes had 2" x 50' of the Alpine Corp flex hose for $130 so i ordered that last night. looks like the Spillway bowl will be getting 2" with a reducer at the end.

Now I am thinking I will try and keep the valves contained in the pump vault. Wye fittings generally arent sold for pressure rated PVC. Since its sounds like due to thickness of this stuff I should go with schedule 40? Can I get away with a drain rated Wye as long as its contained to the pump vault? Might be a bit tight to add a schedule 40 Tee.

Ask a Question