Pump / Bog Plumbing Questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes. like i said before just make sure that theres no bend/ pressure in bending the pipe at the fitting and hold the fitting a bit longer than you would for standard pvc hard pipe and i use the Heavy duty glue , and absolutely i use the primer as well. the fitting is pretty much dry in 15 minutes but keep pressure I USUALY GORILA TAPE the joint to hold it after a minute so i can move on. make sure to test before burring even if its just with water poured into the pipe . so you may want to get a balloon or a pipe cap

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Totally fine in the vault. One trick is to get a stick of rigid pipe and glue short stubs of that to your drain fittings. Then transition to flex with a pressure rated coupling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I came upon this thread while searching for information on flex PVC hose. The hose that ATP referred to and linked to in post # 46 of this thread appears to be what I am needing. It has been described as ultra flex. It's not sch 40, looks like it has thinner walls. Still looks better than the corrugated kink free crap I'm replacing.

Will barbed plastic fittings and stainless clamps work OK with this hose? I'm just wanting to be sure before I order it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used all three

The schedule 40 flex while it does bend itcan be a fight

The depot Flex is a little more pliable I have not put a micrometer to it to check actual thickness but it appears to bend much easier.

The kink free in not even in the same ball park in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@clark kent: I've never tried sticking a barbed fitting w/ clamp on one, but I have one laying around and am headed outside right now, so I'm going to test it. My guess is that it would work. But why do that when it's designed to accept pvc fittings? Much better connection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for the help. This tubing is thinner wall than sch 40. If the ID is one and a half inches, standard sch 40 pvc fittings will probably be too loose.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the help. This tubing is thinner wall than sch 40. If the ID is one and a half inches, standard sch 40 pvc fittings will probably be too loose.
Not sure what you are looking to buy….the flex pvc I have used fits in the schedule 40 fittings with out issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@clark kent: I have this same 2” ultraflex all over my pond in pvc fittings. It is not as tight as a rigid pipe, but it works fine with a heavy body glue.

I just tested the fit of a barbed coupling. Was pretty tough to get it on @ 38° outside. I’d say barbed would probably work fine, too. I would still prefer a glued joint outside the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I ordered a fifty foot roll of the ultra-flex PVC from Lowe's. I plan to investigate how well standard sch 40 fittings fit on it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the responses!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
As promised, here's the data on what I ordered from Lowe's.

Alpine Corporation 1-1/2-in ID x 50-ft PVC Black Vinyl Tubing. Lowe's stock number 2886647. Manufacturer's Model number PH112BK-50. $86.84 shipped to my home. Described as "ultra flexible PVC hose." It is NOT described as sch 40, although it's dimensions are practically identical to 1 1/2" sch 40 PVC. ID = ~1.580", OD = ~1.900", Wall Thickness = ~0.155" - 0.l60."

It is flexible. I think you could safely bend it to a six inch radius without kinking it. It does have a spiral reinforcement but it's not corrugated like the cheap junk. It's not pressure rated, but it's pretty tough and sturdy. It should handle any pressure a pond pump could produce.

PVC glue readily solvent bonds it with standard sch 40 PVC fittings with a good strong watertight seal. 1 1/2" barb fittings will readily slide into it if you use some electrician's water based wire pulling lubricant on it. (and maybe a little heat.)

This is exactly what I've been looking for. The only thing I'm wondering is how well it will hold up exposed to sunlight.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with c.w. Wouldn’t leave anything exposed to the sun for any length of time

Ask a Question