sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear but some people will do the strangest things to other people for the stupidest reasons

Reaction score
Country
United States
If that is really what happened, I don't think it's the first time. One time I woke up to find my poor fish swimming in less than an inch of water. Someone had intentionally moved the return pump to spray the water outside of the pond; definitely not an accident as it would've required a fair amount of force.

I don't know what they put in there to make the water quality that horrible...and I don't know why anyone would do that. I'm considering myself pretty lucky that any survived at all. The ammonia was so high that the test kit couldn't even register its exact level. The darkest it registers is dark green...my test was nearly blue, it was so dark.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! Do you have an angry neighbor? Would adding straight ammonia to a pond cause this? Maybe someone who knows enough about ponds and fish? I am so sorry this happened. But was the pump really out, too?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Lisak1 I don't have any angry neighbors that I know of... And yeah, the pump was out as well.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Was the high ammonia in the pond or the 300 gallon tank? How many fish did you have in there? Was the high ammonia where you have your large fish. 16 &20" koi are plenty large to spawn. I'm hoping this is not a case of vandalism.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So sorry to hear this.....I hope you can get to the bottom of the issue.

Just want to mention that large fish in a small amount of water will cause ammonia to spike fairly quick. Especially in a tank that doesn't have an adequate matured filter (it's not clear to me your exact situation but just wanted to mention it)

Please keep us updated

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was the high ammonia in the pond or the 300 gallon tank? How many fish did you have in there? Was the high ammonia where you have your large fish. 16 &20" koi are plenty large to spawn. I'm hoping this is not a case of vandalism.
Sorry for the confusion. The high ammonia was in the 300 gallon tank. There were 17 little fish in there. A little overstocked, but the tank has remained at 0 ppm ammonia the entire summer. And 2 days before this happened, I checked and it was still at 0. The 5000 gallon is what I transferred the remaining fish to, and in the 5000 gallon, there was already the 16 and 20" koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
keep going , dont leave hoby ! u have alot of fishes still with u , raise the remaining 5 + 17 , see them grow keep them healthy... and be happy .
we can raise perfectly in overstock ponds but this is one disadvantage ... no room for errors or accidents , need to observe more and do more .
if ur pump is broke , do water changes every few hour , it will save ur fish , add water slowly from height it will add oxygen too .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Jenny just because you have had problems in your pond of late doesnt mean you need to quit , we had a lightening strike last year and though a tad upsetting it didnt mean we wanted to quit and weve been at this for 30 years now.
Accidents happen buy a new pump pick yourself up and start again its what we all tend to do .

Dave

Ask a Question