PUMP clogging

Reaction score
I have a 6,000 gph pondmaster hydrive pump inside of my little giant skimmer and i noticed it keeps clogging with debris every 3 days slowing down the flow rate,anyone have any suggestions on how i can prevent this from happening?Also anybody know a way to get rid of green string algae forming on waterfall rocks?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the string algae can be removed with a toilet brush. I have used hydrogen peroxide to kill it off, no koi, just goldies

The pump can you put a bigger junk collector on it? Something like a crate, wire cage with some filter material in it to increase the filter area

Reaction score
right now the pump sits in the skimmer by its self.It has a net in there to trap leaves and 6 filter brushes.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
can you make a piece of matala pad that the water would force thru either in front or behind the brushes? Peroxide is what is produced when you use barley bales, barely extract is natural peroxide and that's what they sell in pond stores to help control string algae. how are your nitrate levels?

Reaction score
to tell you the truth i never even knew i had to check any levels.Just reading this forum made me learn alot.What levels should i check for in my pond,and what tools should i use to check them?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A good decent test kit is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit. It's not the best kit but it's not the cheap strip one either, Good product for the money! It should have Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH. I also recommend getting a hardness test kit, strip isn't to bad on this as your really just wanting to make sure it stays high enough to keep the buffer up so the PH stays stable. Also a pond thermometer. It's really a good idea to get a test kit and know what your water is doing and why. Hint/Tip: 90% of all Goldfish and Koi illnesses are due to or related to water conditions or stress. Over feeding and declining water conditions are probably the top two killers of most pond fish. Predators are probably the next in line.

Reaction score
Agree with fishin. A mat between the brushes and pump. This will most likely have to be cleaned just as much. But atleast saves your pump.
And also grab yourself a test kit. I would go for the liquid test over the strips. They seem very inaccurate.
Low nitrates, good plant coverage and a good filter should usually keep alge in check.

As for the pump. Why is it even clogging? The skimmer and brushes should be grabbing anything large that the pump can't handle. Might be worth looking into a smaller sized net spacing to catch some more solids.

Ask a Question