pump failure

SE18

David V
Reaction score
after just 2 years, my $300 Aquamax Oasis 2100 GPM pump crapped out this afternoon.

I checked it out and it was pretty hot.

The motor ran but the impeller only came on sporadically. I'm thinking however the impeller was connected to the motor, that mechanical connection got worn away, but that's a guess.

vice taking it apart, I now have to look for my receipt and return it. I think there's a 3 or 5 year warranty. I really should do better record keeping, but hope to find it by this weekend and return it

curious if anyone else ever had this happen

I'm tempted to get a Harbor Freight model for much less $$$ next time

DaveV

Sad but still hopeful

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the harbor freight one but it was on sale for 79 dollars and had a 20 % percent off coupon plus they gave me a coupon for the anniversary of joining .Only thing is it uses 150 watts of power but I bought the extended warranty and I think that was back in 2010 and so far no problems with it .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I seen this which I think applies to your pump

5-year manufacturer's limited warranty (3 years + 2 year extension with mail-in warranty/product registration)

SE18

David V
Reaction score
oh, thanks, I better hurry and get that receipt. I don't recall mailing anything in.

Watts are 100 so looks like the Harbor Freight model will suck up the juice! But I'd need to calculate the difference between 100W and 150W over time to really judge that. I can probably look for an online calculator. Does the HF model have an auto shut off if the pond goes dry? My "pond" is really a small holding area for the pump as all the water is in the rest of the system. I use a diaphram to detect drop in water and that shuts off the pump but the diaphram seems to be not working too well as well. The holding area is only about 14" deep and you need a foot of water for the diaphram to work well.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I have only purchased the dirty water pumps from HF and gave gone through 3 of them. The first was replaced under warranty. I purchased the second and after that failed I gave up on them. I see they have a new version so maybe the improved it.

The pump runs 720 hours a month. so 50Wx720 = 36,000W or 36KW a month
if your electricity costs $.05 the additional cost is $1.80 more per month. For 10 cent juice is is $3.60 more

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only other one I found was the laguna max flo at 115 watts .I paid just over a 130 dollars for it a couple of weeks ago and they sent it to me and I had to call them and send it back box was right but it was the jet pump inside .2900 gph

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only reason i don't want external is my pump runs all winter and externals would have to be taken in and you would then have add a submerged any way .Plus the priming part and having to use pvc .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks for doing the math. My pump was internal/external. I found the receipt fortunately. expiration is this august. I called pondliner.com in shawnee OK where I bought it and they said the 2100 item #55647 was discontinued right after i bought it!

so they're sending me a 2,200 gpm pump (mine was 2100 gpm). Should arrive 3 business days. They'll include a shipping label for the old one for me to return.

So everything seems to be working out for me now.

I may install it externally. Haven't decided yet on that. Don't know the pros and cons of internal/external.

Seems internal would be better for the pump since cold water is circulating around it. But that's just my guess. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Oh, someone else just posted as I was typing. I don't run the pump from November thru March, if that makes any difference.

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the harbor freight one can be external also .See every thing turned out better than you thought and now you are ahead of the game by gpm's .Does it use the same amount of watts .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I run my pumps and even run my filters all year round but I put the pond heater in on the really cold days and hook it to the bridge so it is right above the pump .This way the warmer water goes right to the filters .External I understand needs harder plumbing fittings because it is sucking water up to it and needs something on the end so you don't suck up a fish .I know I looked into a leaf basket before the pump to catch all the mucky stuff that gets sucked up .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
138 watts vs my old one of 100 watts. :-(

I've got a sort of stupid question. When the new one arrives does the 3/5 year warranty begin again from zero. I forgot to ask.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think so since it is new pump and will have new warranty card .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I would be sure to send the new card in.

External and prime: I intend to have enough of the pond(s) above ground so that a pump connected to the pond with a bulkhead does not need to be primed.

For freezing I am thinking Styrofoam on the bottom side the pump doghouse lid and the motor will be enough to keep it warm. If it has to be shut down a 100W bulb should be enough heater. One can get radio linked thermometers. Put the remote senor in the pump house. This one is cheap. We have one in the greenhouse that reads 2 temps, one can even put the one probe into the water and I plan to be monitoring the pond water temp this summer with it.

Ask a Question