Pond pump failure...need advice on a new one

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so if I'm in the wrong place forgive me.

I have had a pond for about 6 years now. The pond is peanut shaped, 18' long, 11' at the widest point and about 2' deep. I estimate it contains under 3000 gallons. It also has a waterfall.

The original pump installed was an Aquascape 4500, horizontal in design. I had nothing but trouble with this brand of pump, having the first one replaced under warranty and the replacement failed a year later. It was replaced with a Hydro Dynamax 4700 (vertical with a float switch) which lasted about 3 years until it failed this past week.

I put a ball valve on the outlet of the Hydro Dynamax because the water in the pump well was draining out faster than it was coming back in, and the pump would shut off due to the float switch. So I would get this flow-no flow effect with the waterfall until I could slow down the water flow rate.

Question #1: How long should a garden pond pump last?
Question #2: Is 4700 GPH too much for my size pond?
Question #3: What brand do most of you have good luck with?

I want to make sure I am getting the right pump this time because the pumps are turning into a small fortune!

Thanks

Dale

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a submersible, by looking it up. How is the water getting into the water well? Can you make it get more water so it does not drain down? I use externals, there are a lot here that use submersibles that should be able to help you.

And Welcome, they do like you to post an introduction first...........lol

WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Reaction score
we had an Aquascape 7500 go the first year also under warrenty and replaced, it lasted 6 years and we had it replaced last year with the same.....only cause we knew it would fit right and it was the middle of a hot summer and we didn't want to spend the time researching and finding something more economical.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
That is a submersible, by looking it up. How is the water getting into the water well? Can you make it get more water so it does not drain down? I use externals, there are a lot here that use submersibles that should be able to help you.

And Welcome, they do like you to post an introduction first...........lol

WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Thanks addy1,

I guess I should have introduced myself! My name is Dale and I live near the St. Louis, MO area (where the winters can sometimes be rough, but not as bad as some parts of the country! lol) I have had my pond since May 2005.

When I used the Aquascape pumps I don't recall ever having the problem with the pump well draining down so low that there wasn't enough water coming back in to keep the pump going. But as I recall the Aquascape didn't have a water level switch like the Hydro Dynamax has. That's why I was questioning if the 4700 GPH might be too much.

The pond well is about 18" x 18" x 20"D with what looks like an opening of 9 1/2" x 7" for the water to flow from the pond to the well. When you say you use "externals" do you mean that you have pipes where the pond water can flow into the well outside of the opening that's there?

Thanks

Dale

Reaction score
marla said:
we had an Aquascape 7500 go the first year also under warrenty and replaced, it lasted 6 years and we had it replaced last year with the same.....only cause we knew it would fit right and it was the middle of a hot summer and we didn't want to spend the time researching and finding something more economical.

Thanks for the reply Marla,

I agree that the Aquascape pumps fit better, especially since the whole system I have is an Aquascape system. But I just wasn't happy with the company's support, and my installer even said he had problems with them. I've also read that some installers were moving away from Aquascape.

And thanks for the welcome everyone!

Dale

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you type that in and google it I guess there product is not what it used to be and service is not there anymore it seems they comments are a lot bad and good but seems more bad than good .Seems more companies these days with the economy they way it is are having more problems then ever .I guess it is that way all over and service can go wrong or right and it's a toss up which way it can go .Seems they are more energy efficient than most ,or thats what they claim not sure sense I do not own one .

Reaction score
DrCase said:
Pomp size sounds right
Laguna 4500 is my choice

Thanks DrCase,

I've seen good reviews on Laguna and found their products on Amazon with high customer recommendations. But will it work with my system? It is an Aquascape system where the pond water pours onto a filter media after passing through a netting. The pump is submersible and pumps the water directly to plumbing that goes to the top of the waterfall.

I am not an expert in ponds which I am sure comes across in my descriptions!

Dale

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but I recently picked up 2 new pumps; actually, both second hand. Im on a tight budget and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the prices for the high capacity pumps of well known brands local koi stores here carry, like hozelock, aquamax etc. 300-400 euro per pump was more than I was willing (/able) to spend.

So I picked up 2 pumps from a brand called "superfish". I know it sounds.. fishy lol, but googling around it seems people have been getting excellent results with them, and even the new prices are only a fraction of the more established brands. It comes with 3 year warranty, energy efficiency seems quite decent, they have thermal protection in case they run dry, and they make virtually no noise.

Considering I paid 50 euro for a 8000L/hour and 60 euro for a 15000L/ hour model (both about 1 year old and still covered by warranty), I have to say Im happy with what I got. Then again, they are only running for 2 weeks now, so I obviously cant vouch for their reliability, but even if they would fail after their warranty period, its still a good deal. Oh and they do live up to their specs, I measured the flow rate at 1.5m pump head, and both delivered pretty close to what the box promised.

edit: its these ones:
http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat1437.html

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great, keep us updated as to how they do! There is always someone looking for pumps

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hope they work I like the fact they have directional flow and 3 year warranty must mean they trust them not to many give that without buying extra warranty .Keep us informed

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
dchamb said:
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so if I'm in the wrong place forgive me.

I have had a pond for about 6 years now. The pond is peanut shaped, 18' long, 11' at the widest point and about 2' deep. I estimate it contains under 3000 gallons. It also has a waterfall.

The original pump installed was an Aquascape 4500, horizontal in design. I had nothing but trouble with this brand of pump, having the first one replaced under warranty and the replacement failed a year later. It was replaced with a Hydro Dynamax 4700 (vertical with a float switch) which lasted about 3 years until it failed this past week.

I put a ball valve on the outlet of the Hydro Dynamax because the water in the pump well was draining out faster than it was coming back in, and the pump would shut off due to the float switch. So I would get this flow-no flow effect with the waterfall until I could slow down the water flow rate.

Question #1: How long should a garden pond pump last?
Question #2: Is 4700 GPH too much for my size pond?
Question #3: What brand do most of you have good luck with?

I want to make sure I am getting the right pump this time because the pumps are turning into a small fortune!

Thanks

Dale

1. Not sure how long but I have had mine running for 6 years, 9 months/year
2. Hard to say depends on your head pressure, here is a calculator i found on the web. http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/head-pressure-calculator.html
3. Sequence external pump - never had a problem.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The sequence es4200 we are using is very quiet, can hardly hear it running.

Ask a Question