Pump gave out - need recommendation on a new one

Reaction score
Sissy - which of those two would you recommend as both are an option for me. Only other thing I can think of which might hewlp is that I think the pipe leading up to the waterfall is either 2" or 2.5" so I will have to find a way to hook either of these pumps up to that..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well for me the lowes one uses less energy but understand some lowes don't let you buy extended warranty and there have been problems with them but think that comes down to the low water switch being a hassle to reset .I like the harbor freight one and the extended warranty .Both are local for me so that is a non issue .The low energy one only uses a little less energy that the hb one but is 2900 gph and was less money ,I got it cheap because the package was destroyed .I guess it comes down to price and ease of returning it .Not sure if you have a local hb .So that will be up to you . Money issue also will be a factor .Thing I like about lowes one is well balanced and has a handle .Both places easy to return damaged item . I would not know .They both have likes and dislikes about them .Thing also if you return the harbor freight one you have to pay for a new warranty for the new one .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
It is funny that the one from harbor freight says not to be used with fish, especially when that say that it has a no clog design, :) leaves will clog it a lot faster than fish poop will.

I have mine in my skimmer, so its constantly filling up with leaves and stuff, and hasn't clogged or broken yet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine get clogged with the fine roots the fish tear off the plants .I did not have any problems until I added the grasses but they clean the water .I never understood the no fish thing but all there pumps say that and I have been using HB pumps for 8 years all they could tell me was submersible pumps pose a shock hazard and it could kill fish ,but all sub. pumps have that risk .I sometimes think I will take it back because it seems maybe it is just something wrong with the pump .I thought it should handle the finer roots and called them and they told me if i was that concerned I should return it .I have no leaves and only 1 tree close to the pond and that is 50 feet or more away .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I checked with the manufacturer of the pumps from Harbor Freight and the no fish thing is because they do not do the necessary testing with fish so they have to put the disclaimer on the pumps. They hav not had any customers come back at them for a problem with fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
always better to get bigger but remember try and get a smaller one for the just in case .

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
That looks like a nice pump. I have 2 pumps, a Sunterra and a TetraPond. My big pump, the 3600 gpg tetrapond is in my skimmer box and the sunterra one is buried in the rocks around my pond.

Reaction score
Shalom, don't know the pump you show in the pix, but I've seen several ads for them on ebay as it's easy to identify by it's shape - FYI

Tanx,
McKool

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think why they are on E-bay is because people do not reset the low water switch .You have to read the directions carefully and it is a learning curve to reset them .I have yet to have a problem with mine and it is almost a year old and I almost did not buy it because the plastic case was so broken and beat up at lowes ,I was sure it was broken also but who could pass up a 35 dollar pump .I tested the gph and it puts out about 2900 gph .Not one problem so far .Plus the manager told me if it did not work she would refund the price .

Ask a Question