Pump help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently inherited a pond in our new home, i am new to owning a pond but after research, the pump (providing fountain and into bio filter) is only pumping around 600 Litres per hour but says it should be doing 5000 Litres Per Hour (we have a 5000 litre pond)

I have cleaned everything and no luck, attached it the pump taken apart, could anyone tell me if any parts needs replacing and what parts? (As I cant seem to find anything that uses the same parts) Pictures attached.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 20200814_104831.jpg
    20200814_104831.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200814_095111.jpg
    20200814_095111.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200814_094807.jpg
    20200814_094807.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 115

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Do you know what kind of pump it is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pump is a Tetra Pond CPX 5000 (its outdated as doesnt seem to be produced anymore)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't tell by looking at your images. Most likely, the impeller needs replacement if it is pumping such a low volume of water. How did you measure the volume? Your calculations will be way off if you measured the flow after the waterfall. Best way is to put the pump in a large container and measure the time taken to fill or empty a known volume. Be certain not to run the pump dry under any circumstances. In other words, don't have the pump connected to anything other than a short hose with little 'head height' which will diminish flow and keep the pump completely underwater at all times.
A little history: I used to do product reviews for the fish industry and had to remind readers that pump or filter performance is based upon a brand new unit with no resistance such as plumbing, dirty filter media or head height. Rarely, if ever will item deliver the advertised performance in the consumer's hands once it is placed into normal service.
Do you have fish or is this a decorative pond? A pump performing like that way is undersized for a stocked fishpond. Also, welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for reply :)

Its still only running around 900 litres straight from the pump (filled a container calculating the size and time) my thought was replacing the impeller but I could find the right part as with picture 3 it has confused me (impeller seems to be fixed the magnet power source (if the makes sense) and the white part in the middle I beleive it magnetic but can't see anything like it on any sites? So not sure what its for

There is also around 15-20 fish in the pond but they have been there since we moved ( 2 years ago)

Ask a Question