pump-less pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've had our app. 600 gal pond for almost 9 yrs. It has the pump, filter, small waterfall. I'm getting a little too old to be lifting the filter box out every time it needs cleaning. Is it possible to have no circulation and still have clear water and healthy fish? I currently have only 5 total fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hear you! I know that it’s probably somewhere in your profile, but can you tell us again a little more about your pond — and pictures would be helpful, as well as a description of the area around the pond.

To answer your question, yes it might be possible, but there are too many things to be taken into consideration for anyone to say what will work for your pond.

What kind of fish do you have: koi, goldfish, or something else? What brand and size pump and filter do you currently have? And how do you have it all set up? Is there any way that an alternative set-up, say, with an external-type filter would work for you? We are here to help you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can just run the pump to the waterfall for good circulation and leave out the box filter and every once in awhile run the garden hose in there and run some water in and out at the same time just for a freshening up. Don't forget chlorine removal stuff if you need it. I do that now and then and I have a filter in there also but it's really a pre-filter and easier to get out than the box kind. EZ bio 20 Filter I bought online at Webbs I believe.

IMG_5385.JPG

Here it is at work in the pond.
IMG_5816.JPG

In the last photo at the very bottom in the diagram mine does not go to the box filter it goes to my waterfall. I have a rope tied to the end of the pre-filter thing so I can haul it up easier. I take it apart and hose it off when the waterfall slows down. It has a center and an outer media core. Sometimes I leave the center one out as it plugs up pretty fast. Still works good w/just the outer one tho.

Center core that plugs up a bit fast.
IMG_6267.JPG
Prefilter diagram.jpg

Ask a Question