Pump Location

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Where do people normally locate their external pumps? I am planning a small pond with raised bog and waterfall. There will be a skimmer and from there I want to feed the bog. Obviously if I use a submersible pump it would go in the back of the skimmer, but if I opt for an external pump where do I place it? Does it need to be below water level?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I'm not asking her specifically, just in general. I guess external pumps are not as popular as I thought? I typically opt for submersible but trying to determine if I use an external do I need to dig out an area next to my skimmer to feed it or can it be placed at ground level.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm like 99 percent sure you can put them at ground level but I have a submersible so I don't know for sure. A bunch of people here have them though. I would check out @RobAmy and Addy's showcase, they might have pictures of what they are running since I think they are both external.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You can have it above ground but you could have priming problems. You will need a check valve also. I feel the better way is a pump vault but that is just my opinion. I do not use them for my pond. My main pump is in my skimmer and the others are in the pond.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our pump is external and above ground level. As Rob says, you should be fine if the model you choose is self-priming and you install a check valve before or at the intake. Our centrifugal pump is mounted beside the skimmer and draws water up vertically from the bottom of the skimmer box.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My pump is external and non-priming, so I have it mounted below the water line.
Just make sure that wherever you mount yours the lower elevation won't collect water and damage the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
You can have it above ground but you could have priming problems. You will need a check valve also. I feel the better way is a pump vault but that is just my opinion. I do not use them for my pond. My main pump is in my skimmer and the others are in the pond.

That's what I was after. I know there could be priming issues, all my external pump experience have been with saltwater tanks and I always drilled my sump to feed the external. Didn't know if any special cases existed for ponds. In fact, I was thinking of using a box intended for sprinkler systems to hide the pump below grade before you mentioned pump vault, which is essentially the same thing. Then again, I'm not set on using external since I've had some bad luck with the seals on them blowing out (mainly with reeflo but similar designs might be affected as well). I may just end up going with a mag pump. Any other recommended submersibles to go in the skimmer? Needs to feed a waterfall.

I'm about ready to start digging, just trying to get everything planned out before I overlook something.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm using a Reeflo Dart Gold for my external, but I need to get a pre filter because the impeller will clog up with debris.
For a submersible one that sits in a skimmer box, I would look at the Laguna pond pump line. I've heard good reviews about them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Do you keep extra seals on hand for that Dart? I replaced mine 2x in one year before I sold them both. Having said that, Chris does a great job with support and he sent me some along with impellers for the trouble. I just don't trust them in the end, the seals that is, but the pumps great outside of that.

I've also heard good things about Laguna, I'll look at those.

Ask a Question