Pump size?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’m slowly collecting stuff for the pond—have biofalls, a skimmer, boulders, etc. Need a pump now. Was going to buy the Laguna Maxflo 2400. 2400 gph for ponds up to 4800 gallons.

If I’m digging a roughly 10x12 pond to 3 ft (with shelves), would this be powerful enough? Won’t have a big rise to a waterfall, just a couple of feet. Am I correct in that you want at least 1.5 times your volume for gph? If so the gph rate on the pump seems too small but the total pond volume listed in the specs would be fine. What am I missing here?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes you are correct you want a turn over rate of 1.5-2 times and hour. So you would need a pump with a rate of at least 7200 gp/hr ( 1.5 times turn over an hour) or this can be done with another pump and filter or skimmer/filter to get a combined total.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Really, that big? I figured 10x12 @ 3 ft is 2700 gallons. 2700x1.5=4050gph.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unless you have a box for a pond, you can't just multiply things like that. You have to use averages. I have a 16x12x3' pond with shallow shelves, deep shelves, ovalized shape, etc and it holds about 2700 gallons.

You should know the volume of your pond for other reasons, so I'd suggest using a cheap water meter to measure it once you've got it built. You could even delay your pump purchase until after you've done that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond is over 5000 gallons and I have 2 laguna pumps because of energy savings and I want the water to move to 2 different filters .I don't have a skimmer and no bottom drain .Plus if 1 pump ever goes out I am not in panic mode to find another 1 .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

WEll 2 parts to my math 1 did not supply your gallons 2. i went by info i read may have miss read it too. no big deal but based on your numbers of 2700/4050 then 4800 will do depending on head pressure

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I agree with @EricV and would suggest you try to calculate as close to possible the volume of your pond given any shelves you have, etc. Once you know that number I would at a minimum go for 1.5 x the volume when buying a pump, but I usually just get a pump that can handle the volume of water x2 to have a high amount of circulation.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pond is about 2400 gals w/about a 3 ft head to waterfall and I use the Laguna Max Flo 4280 and works great and waterfall is just right. I have no skimmer. Pump connected to filter and then straight to falls.

IMG_8283.JPG

Filter:
IMG_5385.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anybody use Harbor Freight pumps? The brand my local store carries is Creekstone. Price is less than half the comparable Laguna but I’m worried about longevity. I know I’ve read on hear that some people use HF pumps, but I wonder if anyone has had one last several years???

I’m in no way trying to be cheap, but will save dollars if and where I can!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Does anybody use Harbor Freight pumps? The brand my local store carries is Creekstone. Price is less than half the comparable Laguna but I’m worried about longevity. I know I’ve read on hear that some people use HF pumps, but I wonder if anyone has had one last several years???

I’m in no way trying to be cheap, but will save dollars if and where I can!

every electric device i have bought from HF has failed almost as soon as i bought it. only thing i trust from HF is screw drivers and such and tarps. mileage varies. but thats my thoughts

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Angel, anything electric wise mainly tools like circular saw, jig saw etc. that I bought from there pretty much quit working with in a week or so. Can’t speak to their pumps though, but I wouldn’t trust them.

As for pump size, I would go with a 5-6000gph pump. With head loss it will probably end up somewhere between 1.5-2x.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Take a look at those Harbor Freight pumps and you will see that you will spend more in electricity operating them for one year than you will save by buying a cheaper pump. The Lagunas are very energy efficient. There are other choices too, but ALWAYS look at the power they draw.

I use a number of HF pumps for temporary purposes, but would never run decent sized one 24/7.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have HF pumps and my neighbor is using them and some of them are 10 years old .Not energy efficient but work good

Ask a Question