Pump size

Reaction score
I have a pond that is about 4,000 to 4,500 gallons by my best estimate. I have a pump that moves about 1300 gph. I know I need more. If I used that pump to run just a fountain what size should I get for the rest? Should I do away with that pump and just buy one big one? If that is the best way to go how big should it be? I am using a submersible at the present time and need to stay with that at this time. I have it running through a settling tank and a small filter. I plan on adding a 150 gallon stock tank filter during the year.
Thanks in advance.

Steve

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could use that pump for your fountain, have it on a timer, if you want to. I will have our stream on a timer and a different pump to be able to shut it down at night and when we are not at home.

That size of the pump could be between 2500 - 4500 gph. Some say you can turn over the water every 2 hours rather than every hour, esp if you are sticking with goldies.

"The chosen Pond Pump should be able to circulate at the very least half of the volume of pond water every hour (Koi Ponds need to turn over the water once per hour or more often)"

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Keep the extra pump and look for a pump around 4500 gph

Reaction score
If I get a pump around 4500 gph would it be big enough to put a tee in it with some ball valves and have it pull some of the water from a skimmer or would it be better to run one pump for the filter and one for the skimmer?

Also, what would a good brand of pump be?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Brand depends on how much you want to spend, electricity use etc.

I have one pump with ball valves to control flow between the skimmer and the bottom which go to the filter. I can turn one or the other off as needed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow thats some size pond would love to see pics if you can post them or have you posted them in the past .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to find pump for the pond on the rental property but have to measure it and figure out how deep it is .I know it has a liner but have to ask it has a creek natural running through it and not sure how that works .The creek is called Frying Pan creek and goes for miles into a huge lake ..Is this considered a pond .The creek flows in and then back out on the corners of the pond not sure it was done that way originally or just happened from maybe stream overflow .Sorry to go off on someones asking info on pump ,but what they find out I may be able to use .pond is neglected and overgrown

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If the flow rate is high enough, that constant water exchange may preclude the need for a lot of filtration. I'm thinking a circulation pump to a fines filter that may not even need to run continuously.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
would your filter in the barrel work then .We close the 18th of this month and I will be able to get a better look at the area of the pond but have to clear it to get to it first .The house has a co-op electric company and not sure there rates ,

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Again, If the flow rate is high enough, you may not need a bio filter since the water is being constantly changed naturally.
Take a 5 gallon bucket and see how long it takes to fill up. Then do the math and see how much flow you have. Also, get an estimate on the pond size in gallons.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is going to take awhile for us to clear down to it as it is surronded by picker bushes .But down by it I can see some nice plants growing and if I walk in the stream I can get closer but brrrr that water was cold ..The first time I got close I got scratched up by the pickers on my arms and legs and had a hard time getting unstuck from them lol

Ask a Question