Pumps, GPH and Pressure Filters oh my...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thanks everyone for your input! As usual, forums provided more support than the manufacturers themselves... All they told me to do was buy another pump.

Anyhow, here's what I did, and I think I found a good solution for this dilemma,

I'm simply using the Laguna WG10000 pump (bottom fed for now, still working on the skimmer) and used a Y splitter near the filter, the result was I managed to fill a 2gal pail in 13-14 seconds (500-600gph if my math is correct)... ideally I think that number should be closer to 800-900gph for a 1800gal pond.
View attachment 102713
70606-a9fe9b25dc9e9bf65850f33a35d0f9a6.jpg

So, next step is i'm in the process of installing some ball valves so I can adjust the pressure going to the filter from the water that that's being bypassed. I know I probably only need one ball valve, but figured I may need to do the opposite at one point and restrict water going to filter and have more water being bypassed... I don't know... what do you guys think?
View attachment 102712 View attachment 102716
great idea looks good , so u have divided it half in filter half waterfall?
i love ur stream fall actualy it must be working like filter it self , but i see some liner exposed , why ur pond water level is low ?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
thanks I designed it myself, the orginal stream the previous owner left me was too close to an apple tree and was annoying to get to,... So, both hoses are being used in the waterfall, but one bypasses the filter.... I was thinking about making a little diffuser to even out the flow, but from deck, you won't be able to tell the difference. I'd like to have a bit more pressure diverted to the filter, hence the ball valve idea...

The water is low because I'm still working on a skimmer install and will be re-running the hose in order to shorten the hose length by a few feet...

here's what the top of falls looks like...
20170730_184555.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
great idea looks good , so u have divided it half in filter half waterfall?
i love ur stream fall actualy it must be working like filter it self , but i see some liner exposed , why ur pond water level is low ?

Here's a video of the complete pond and flow... Still work in progress obviously :) I've also found a draw back to the Y splitter... The backwash functionality of the pressureflo is not quite as effective... I'll have to install those ball valves so I can completely shutoff the bypass hose before I can effectively backwash it... Just trying to find a good way to mount it to the fence...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need more water movement in the pond .are those mosquito's or gnats flying around .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Here's a video of the complete pond and flow... Still work in progress obviously :) I've also found a draw back to the Y splitter... The backwash functionality of the pressureflo is not quite as effective... I'll have to install those ball valves so I can completely shutoff the bypass hose before I can effectively backwash it... Just trying to find a good way to mount it to the fence...

nice stream thnx , i think u need a bog filter too , im not big fan of pressurize filter in larger ponds , lets see if it will clear the water in few days .

You need more water movement in the pond .are those mosquito's or gnats flying around .

will water movement get rid of mosquitoes in the plants branches? i have these too may b they r males? but it happens in a specific time not all year around
his pumps r good , i think pressurize filter or long piping plus height is compromising alot of water flow ,

Reaction score
Country
Canada
yeah, thats why I was kind of thinking running two pumps... I do have that stronger pump little giant pump that pumps 4280gph @1' head height... or maybe run my oase biosys filter separately with the Laguna powerjet 1500 pump...

Not sure... let's see where this takes me... Also... probably the reason for the mosquitoes is cause its been a while that I've had my full waterfall in working order... so their might have been standing rain water caught in it and I just woke them up :)

Ask a Question